Default Windows 98 update not working

I'm trying to run Windows Update with W98SE and IE5.5 already installed. First time I managed to DL all critical updates but PC hung when installing started. Now I'm trying again but PC now hangs on the PLEASE WAIT while Windows Update is customising the updates catalog. I have already wiped W98 once and done a complete re-install. Anything else I can do to get the update working ? TVMIA for any help.

Default Re: Windows 98 update not working

You may have to get rid of the updates as the computer may have corrupted the installation when it froze.

I think you'll find the Updates in the Add/Remove section in the control panel. Just find the critical updates & remove them all. You'll just have to download all the updates over again.

Unfortunately the updates were not listed in the Add/Remove section 8-(. Thanks a lot for your reply though.

I've been in Win2k/XP too long. Well I don't know if they have an uninstall function for them. It would be good if they do otherwise the next advice I can offer is to reinstall Win98. Installing Win98 over the top without doing a clean install/format should fix the problems it's having and then the updates will have to be done again. This will be a long process but it should get it to work with updates. Just hope it doesn't hang in the same place.

Emile,

I'm afraid that installing Win98 (either via reformat, or over the top) as Kame says is probably the only way to fix the problem. With Windows updates installing themselves automatically, and not allowing uninstalls, it can cause problems when the install doesn't work properly.

A word of advice though. Install ONE update at a time, rather than all the available updates all at once, and restart your computer in between. Although this may take a LOT longer, it will probably work a lot smoother in the long run.

I'd already done a clean install of W98SE 8-(. But I've had success now by cleaning out the \Program Files\Windows Update and \Windows\Temporary Internet Files folders which had a lot of cr_p left from the previous install. After the cleanout I managed to install all the critical updates without problems. Thanks again for your response !

Mike,

See my reply to Kame : It's finally worked. And I did use your advice and installed only one update at the time, just in case. I'm a happy man now and thanks for your response ! What a fantastic place this is. Maybe one day I'll have learned enough to be able to help others in turn...

Make sure that the 'VIRUS WARNING' option in the BIOS is not enabled because it does just what you say when loading the basic Win98. Possibly it does the same for the update.

Thanks Ron, I'd forgotten about that one and will check up on it.

Emile.