Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Default Windows 10 Pro upgrade install failed

Hi Team,

So I've been avidly waiting for my "wave" of Windows 10 to roll out but nothing so far until I checked the install history for Windows Update. See the image below.

It appears the upgrade has tried to install multiple times but failed.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience or if I'm just doing something wrong.

I'm running Windows 8.1, with all the latest updates installed, rest of my specs on in my signature, though I cannot imagine my computer hardware is the issue here.

Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	windows10_upgr.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	6643

Asus PRIME Z370-P
    Core i7-8700K
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    16GB Klevv BOLT X Gaming 3200MHz DDR4
    Intel 660P 512GB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial 512GB SSD
    GTX 1660 SUPER OC
    Corsair Crystal 460X
    EVGA SuperNOVA G+ 650W

Default Re: Windows 10 Pro upgrade install failed

I would if the files are in C run the setup file (or if the ESD file is in the C/BT folder whatever it is create the ISO with it)

Or download the ISO then mount / boot from it

Go here and Download it https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10. It downloads a small exe file and kicks off from there.

Tell it to save to a folder on your hard drive then run and wait for it to happen. That's all. No ISOs needed or any other arcane tricks.

Good luck but doubt you'll need it!

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by linw View Post
    Go here and Download it https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10. It downloads a small exe file and kicks off from there.

Tell it to save to a folder on your hard drive then run and wait for it to happen. That's all. No ISOs needed or any other arcane tricks.

Good luck but doubt you'll need it!
    +1
    Yes do that. It is easy and works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    I would if the files are in C run the setup file (or if the ESD file is in the C/BT folder whatever it is create the ISO with it)

Or download the ISO then mount / boot from it
    don't try the first part of this, its unsupported

just download the ISO to upgrade if you can't wait

I didnt try that either. Whats the point in it putting it there then. I downloaded the ISO then mounted it

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    I didnt try that either. Whats the point in it putting it there then. I downloaded the ISO then mounted it
    I didn't write "I would if the files are in C run the setup file (or if the ESD file is in the C/BT folder whatever it is create the ISO with it)"

Ifindoubtgiveitaclout

I thought I'd share my upgrade story.
    I upgraded from W7U, didn't bother with W8 mainly because everything I read about it & the experiences I had when playing with it were bad. The computer is a Core 2 Duo 2Ghz 4Gigs ram & AMD 5700 graphics.
    First off I did all the backing up necessary then downloaded the W10 Pro file & burnt it to DVD, went through the upgrade process, which took an eternity & all appeared well. I noticed that after the upgrade restarting Windows 10 took at least 10 times longer to get to a useable state & thrashed my hard drive for a good 10 minutes after each restart. Every restart was different, different things appeared & disappeared on the dektop each time, programs, or apps as they call them now took forever to start & they all looked exactly the same as they did in W7. Tried to install the drivers that had stopped working & they wouldn't install. After much wasted time, I gave up. I checked in control panel & found that the upgrade had activated That's what I wanted.
    Disconnected the other hard drive + external peripherals & overnight used Dban BootnNuke to clear the hard drive. The next morning I did a clean install of W10 & that sorted all the previous problems in one go. It's snappier than W7 & boots up in half the time, that's the good part, the bad is it's *kin ugly. What a horrible looking interface to look at & really badly beaten with the ugly stick icons, they've even made Skype uglier lol. I presume someone somewhere will be writing skin packs for it while the person responsible for the graphics design is shot. The Belkin wireless dongle driver isn't included in windows, I had to use ethernet to get the latest driver, which didn't install, so had to install in compatibility mode to get it working, same for the Logitech webcam, the Realtek audio says it's not installed, yet the icon is in the system tray & it works with surround sound without me having to install anything.
    The system seems more responsive overall & the ugliness is something I'll get used to so it's a keeper.

Ok so problem solved. Turns out I had to remove... yes remove Bitlocker encryption. I started with a "suspend Bitlocker" and left the computer running for a few days. No joy, so spent the last 2 days decrypting all my drives, I have 4 installed. Lo and behold, within seconds of the final drive finishing its decryption I get a message saying "Your Windows 10 upgrade is now available." Now as I was already a few glasses into an exquisite 30 Y/old single malt scotch I thought it best to continue enjoying the scotch over installing the lastest version of Windows..... I know tough choice... right

So will give the old upgrade a whirl and see how things go.

Cheers

Asus PRIME Z370-P
    Core i7-8700K
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial 512GB SSD
    GTX 1660 SUPER OC
    Corsair Crystal 460X
    EVGA SuperNOVA G+ 650W

Ok so "success" dare I say it...

The upgrade was largely a very smooth process. I must say they've done a really good job to be honest.

A quick run down of how things went;

These are the timings from the moment I clicked the "upgrade now" button after the files were downloaded and are cumalative.

1) 9 minutes to 1st reboot.
    2) 15 minutes to 2nd reboot.
    3) 19 minutes to 1st login.
    4) 23 minutes to system being ready to use.

23 minutes from start to finish is quite impressive, definitely beats 2-3 hours clean install... which I will do at some stage but for now I'm happy with the way things went.

Issues I encountered;

1) Reinstall the Intel SmartConnect software.
    2) Reinstall ACDSee 7 Pro
    3) Repair Office 2013 Professional Plus

I tested all the apps I use the most and all of them worked without issue note this was just running them I have yet to do "burn in" tests but a stable app start-up is always a good thing.

Addtional task;

1) Installed the Windows 10 nVidia GeForce drivers for my GTX650

Another thing I'm impressed with was that this was the only driver I needed to change... not unexpected due to the new DX12 platform.

Overall, a very pleasurable experience, though I'm sure as I use the system more there will be a few hiccups.

Good job Microsoft, not only delivering a free OS upgrade but the OS itself is pretty nice so far.

Asus PRIME Z370-P
    Core i7-8700K
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial 512GB SSD
    GTX 1660 SUPER OC
    Corsair Crystal 460X
    EVGA SuperNOVA G+ 650W