Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Recommend me a laptop for uni

i'm revising my list
    get one of these 5 examples http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?m=s226117561

they already have a SSD, though its still a better value option to get cheapest and add the ssd and the ram, retaining the rotating rust whilst discarding the rotating mirrors.

too bad if you have a preference of any sort for branding.

its just a toaster guys.
    Have a great day.

Pretends to know things

As someone studying IT at uni right now who purchased a laptop for uni I can tell you that a laptop is completely useless in lectures/labs/tutorials. So as long as you're fine to keep using your current laptop at home/in the halls then I'd just stick with that.

You need to remember that compared to high school/college you're going over information at a similar depth to your final year of high school (in your first year of uni anyway) but in a quarter of the time; 12 week semesters vs 40 week years. 10 - 11 different topics (for lack of a better word) covered each over around 2 - 4 hours a week. Lectures move fast, as soon is material is covered you move on. I found in lectures like CompSci (where I would have expected being able to run code as it's covered in the lecture to be useful) using a laptop was detrimental to my learning. You can't do things at a rate which allows you to keep up with the class. Lectures are for notes only imho (kind of unsurprising when you think about it).

It's even worse in business papers (I imagine you'll be taking a lot of these). I took microeconomics, finance and marketing in my first year as electives. All of those had lots of diagrams. Pen and papers is always going to be superior. It's actually kind of amusing watching others try to create diagrams quickly on laptops.

It's not even worth talking physics/calc/any math heavy subject.

As for tutorials and/or labs you spend most of your time actually applying what you learnt in lectures. If you need a computer they'll no doubt be provided. Uni computers are awful either (paying for education unsurprisingly results in better provided resources for you to use).

Quality of notes matters too. I find being able to layout a page however I choose results in better quality notes (being able to visually connect ideas, making use of all the space on the page and so on). Unless you're gods gift to Microsoft Word I would think using paper would be quicker/better. Note taking programs are too clunky on desktops and laptops without touch screens which leads me to believe that the Microsoft Surface would be the best device to use if I had my heart set on using something in lectures. You get full use of something like One Note/similar while being able to type and write at your discretion. Next choice after the Surface would be an ipad/android tablet + keyboard cover. That being said being able to do something on a computer that I can do on paper isn't worth $1300 to me. Not after buying a laptop anyway.

That being said having something which you can view the slides on in lectures is useful if you miss something. I personally use my phone (5" screen). I guess a tablet would work too but that's just one more thing I have to carry around. Space wise in a packed lecture theater I don't think I could reasonable look at notes on a laptop and write in a book at the same time.

Noting this the following so you get a better view of my perspective:

- My personal laptop is a Macbook Pro which I paid for. I also received have another Macbook Pro (from work).

- I don't take either to uni anymore. This was also the case when I lived on campus.

- Compared to most I write quickly but I type even faster. I'm not particularly opposed to writing but given the option I'd probably prefer to type, especially over long periods of time.

- The majority of my papers this year have been business papers.

From what I've seen, outside of IT papers the overwhelming majority of students use pen and paper. Within IT papers it's more like 60/40 in favour of laptops. Probably some weird complex which makes them believe they need to use a computer or something. I'm not the odd one out with pen and paper though.

I agree with you 100% on how useful pen and paper is. That's what I take to lectures to take notes on, and I definitely wouldn't be taking a computer into a lecture with me. I hate using the library computers though, and that's why I want a computer with me.

I actually was thinking about a Macbook of some description, but they're quite pricey. Good, definitely, but pricey.

Pretends to know things

Just making sure you knew what you're in for. I see a lot of people buying laptops who end up barely using them. Good way to waste $1000+ on something which serves a fairly insignificant purpose.

Yeah the Macbook Pro is great. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend one as a laptop (best laptop you can buy imo) but totally overkill for uni.

Personally I've spent fairly minimal time on library computers. I'd rather study in my own space. But each to their own. The point of my post was that given the chance again I probably wouldn't bother buying a laptop for uni.

I guess my advise for you then would be buy the cheapest thing that works for you seeing as you seem pretty set on a new computer. Avoid HP, their consumer line is generally garbage and I'd question whether it would last till the end of your degree. This Asus is the cheapest thing I could find without dropping into pentium/celeron territory which are unusable imo. I imagine the battery life would be really meh and the screen resolution is horrible (1366x768 sucks, too bad it has somehow become a standard). No SSD either.Worth noting that Acer makes a faster laptop for the same price but as a brand they tend to fall short in the qc department.

Quote Originally Posted by icow View Post
    Just making sure you knew what you're in for. I see a lot of people buying laptops who end up barely using them. Good way to waste $1000+ on something which serves a fairly insignificant purpose.

Yeah the Macbook Pro is great. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend one as a laptop (best laptop you can buy imo) but totally overkill for uni.

Personally I've spent fairly minimal time on library computers. I'd rather study in my own space. But each to their own. The point of my post was that given the chance again I probably wouldn't bother buying a laptop for uni.

I guess my advise for you then would be buy the cheapest thing that works for you seeing as you seem pretty set on a new computer. Avoid HP, their consumer line is generally garbage and I'd question whether it would last till the end of your degree. This Asus is the cheapest thing I could find without dropping into pentium/celeron territory which are unusable imo. I imagine the battery life would be really meh and the screen resolution is horrible (1366x768 sucks, too bad it has somehow become a standard). No SSD either.Worth noting that Acer makes a faster laptop for the same price but as a brand they tend to fall short in the qc department.
    You don't have a clue what you're talking about, do you?
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

Pretends to know things

Feel free to offer actually helpful criticism of my post.

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

A serious request for advice, and serious replies, being treated as jokes by 2 of the stupidest fools on the forum.
    Time for the ban hammer?
    FTW

Quote Originally Posted by icow View Post

I have been considering saving some more, selling my current laptop, and buying a Macbook Pro. Might be my best bet in the long run.

I don't like the library computers either, but I'd far rather study on a quiet floor at the library than at home - fewer distractions, and I always end up being more focused than at home. Hence why I'd appreciate a new computer, as I find my current one just too big and bulky to take in with me.

I'd go with the Surface Pro 3 if you can afford it. That way you can use the stylus + onenote during lectures, and if coursebooks are available in pdf form, you won't have to physically buy a copy - just annotate on the Surface.
    My Tech:

i5 4670, 8GB RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HDD, AOC 1080p monitor, K280 case
    Nexus 7 II (2013)
    Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by Nick G View Post
    current laptop
    what is your current laptop?
    Have a great day.