Default Learning to make Android Apps

Hi All!

I want to learn to code Android Apps. I have no experience (aside from some BASIC coding back in school), but I have plenty of motivation.

I've found thenewboston website and the video tutorials looks really good, but they assume some coding knowledge which I need to get before proceding.

So, should I learn some C or JAVA first?

Or feel free to tell me otherwise.

I'd really like a plan of attack for the process of learning all this, as it's rather over whelming for a noob when presented with so much information and slightly differing opinions on what to learn first.

Thanks in advance.

Donald.

Default Re: Learning to make Android Apps

Learn Java and learn all about Mvc aka model view controller application development. You can also Google android developer kit which is provided for free by Google. The site has tutorials and everything.

Don't expect to make any money selling your app. Most android apps are given away for free.

I would also suggest that rather than trying to jump straight into trying to create an app and getting over whelmed and frustrated from a lack of understanding of what you are trying to do and how to do it, I would suggest taking some baby steps with learning some basic web site building to give you a basic understanding of static HTML and CSS. This will let you create a basic frame work. Then move on to some front end scripting with JavaScript. This will teach you about objects and variables and problem solving. Then you can move to building a basic form eg first name, last name and submit button. From here you can learn either php or .asp to learn how to submit form data to a server database. You will also learn how either php or asp.net actually work. Once you have gotten your head around those principles then you can look at moving to app development in Android which should make more sense that just jumping into the deep end with no idea about what you are trying to do.

Any languages you can learn helps, but specifically for Android and to have some edge on it, Java is what they use, some knowledge in XML and understanding gradle as well would be some key things to know. Theres an android ide you can setup so you can work with tools that others have used to create their apps.

However, there's nothing really stopping you doing it in any other language as there are wrappers for most major languages.

Depending on why you think an app is best, theres other ways, like developing your app in a web language so you're not limiting your audience and many web frameworks can even double as an app.

Money can be made through advertising, as so many apps are filled with.

Cheers,

KK
    Last edited by Kame; 09-07-2015 at 10:17 PM.

When I was going down the same route, I found this:

http://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/

It won't teach you any "real" programming, but it is quite a neat way to try some concepts out and get stuff running really quickly.
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    When I was going down the same route, I found this:

http://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/

It won't teach you any "real" programming, but it is quite a neat way to try some concepts out and get stuff running really quickly.
    Good link. They do scratch as well https://scratch.mit.edu/ which I was also going to suggest.
    Working on a few different projects.