Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Default Re: Which smartphone next after my S3

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I can't recommend enough... you're so good rid of your S3. And... I can't recommend enough a Galaxy S4 or S5.

PS pls ignore Chill's advice - he's biased!
    I'm currently rocking a Galaxy S5. The IR port is nice, but the battery would be an easy 25-30% less than the Z3. It's not as waterproof, and it's noticeably slower even on a fresh installation without installing any additional apps.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

How is Chill biased? I've owned Samsung phones and would never own one again. I still have my trusty HTC One M7, and I would agree with what he's recommended, especially the new Moto G. I'm in fact looking at a Z3 to replace my HTC in the next while.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Everybody is biased, it's the nature of being human. Otherwise there would be no opinions only facts.
    Anyway my Note3 should be fairly similar to an S5 and I find it's really smooth and responsive still, nothing to complain about performance wise at all.

That said I would definitely consider a Z3 if I was replacing it. I was tempted by the nexus 6 but reviews aren't favourable when compared to the Note 4 or Z3.
    I've always gone for phones with removable batteries and micro SD support but to be honest I've never replaced a battery and don't really find much use for the extra storage. It is good having the option of a hard reset on occasion though.
    Last edited by dugimodo; 09-07-2015 at 02:01 PM.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

I have just replaced the battery in my S3 mini as it was way cheaper than replacing the phone which I can't afford to do after taking a 6 month sabbatical last summer.

Ahem, I took a tip from an earlier poster and restarted the phone. It fair hums along now, no hesitation at all, and almost brand new performance, great.

Its not been switched off for many months at a time, other than at hardware reset time. Now Im doing this almost daily, thanks again for the tip.

But, the phone is starting to show signs of wear, little chips coming off the chrome edge band, that sort of thing. So im starting to look around. When I do upgrade,Id like to turn the S3 into a Webcam, any suggestions on how to achieve that?

Maybe just flash a stock based custom rom of Lollipop, usually gets it running mint rather than the crappy touchwiz that's on it now...
    My Tech:

i5 4670, 8GB RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HDD, AOC 1080p monitor, K280 case
    Nexus 7 II (2013)
    Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by sahilcc7 View Post
    Maybe just flash a stock based custom rom of Lollipop, usually gets it running mint rather than the crappy touchwiz that's on it now...
    I flashed 5 Galaxy S5's in the space of 6 weeks to CyanogenMod.
    Yeah sure it means they run a bit snappier but then there's bluetooth streaming issues and a lack of NFC to deal with (Has to be disabled, not just turned off, or it absolutely pwns your battery life).
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:

Quote Originally Posted by sahilcc7 View Post
    I have done the same(CM) some months ago with my S3 and it has been going nicely since. You need to spend a bit of time on it to setup and that's not everybody's cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by notechyet View Post
    I have done the same(CM) some months ago with my S3 and it has been going nicely since. You need to spend a bit of time on it to setup and that's not everybody's cup of tea.
    Doesn't help everyones guides online are long since outdated.
    Flashing Samsungs are all pretty much the same, it's not hard once you've done one, you've done a dozen (Or ~5 dozen in my case)