Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which smartphone next after my S3

My S3 has given great service but its getting clunkier and slower all the time.

I need to do a firmware reset every three months now to keep it in some semblence of smooth operation.
    I force close all the Apps every 2-3 days but it doesnt improve matters much.

Id like to hang on to it but I cant workout whats slowing it down and or how to restore its former blazing speed when I first bought it.
    Apart from Gmail, FB, Camera, Gallery, Flighradar24 and a few other minor Apps, I cant workout whats slowing it down.

So,if I were seeking a replacement, whats available that matches the specs of my S3 without spending mega bucks. The new phone must have the capibility of acting as a Mobile Hotspot, without spending mega bucks.

Any suggestions please.

Default Re: Which smartphone next after my S3

What's your budget?

Every phone these days can be a mobile hotspot, and even a half decent one will have specs that equal the S3. $250-300 will get you a Moto G 2nd gen, or the 4G version of the 1st Gen.

$400 can get you a Galaxy S4

$500-600 can get a LG G3, or a OnePlus One.

Depends on how much you want to spend

I also have a S3 and the latest "S" does not do it for me, its crap
    Not keen on the iPhone either.

I saw this one and it might be a goer.

http://www.turingphone.com/
    The Internet moves in mysterious ways.

Is there a comparison website where you can tick the options you would like, then see what meets those critera and price.

the FB app is a killer and you can use the mobile website anyway so just remove it. S3 is still pretty good really and should be smooth. Just restarting every few days can make a big difference.
    I went from an S3 to a 2nd hand Note 3 and it is silky smooth, I'm really very happy with it. I think it handles android 5.0 better than some devices thanks to the 3GB of RAM.

Every time a new high end phone comes on the market you can usually find last years model cheap 2nd hand from all the early adopters. When you compare a note 3 to a note 4 though there are only a few minor improvements.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Two phones, depending on your budget:
    < $500 go for a Moto G 2014 model. They're ~$270 and absolutely amazing value-for-money!
    > $500 go for an Xperia Z3. I regularly go through phones (Roughly one every 2-3 months, long story) and have tried everything from the latest Samsungs to Sony to HTCs One series... The Z3 is ~9 months since release but I would still hands-down take it over any other phone in the market, without a doubt!!
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    $500 go for an Xperia Z3
    Have to agree the Z3 is a great phone. I've got the Compact version which was on special in Jan for $499

The Z3 keeps surprising me with its features. For instance it will play from ordinary-type USB sticks. The micro-USB port has dual host-device capability and Sony provides a 150mm adaptor cable for playing USB sticks. I think the adaptor cable comes with the phone. (Won't play from USB3 though. Says stick is 'damaged')

Today I have a guest coming round and wanted to show some 4k home-videos on our Sony TV (which is only full HD). The Z3 connected easily to the (Netgear PTV) device attached to the TV. I just need to play the 4k video on the phone and hit 'throw'

The surprise I got was the ability to zoom-in and scroll around while playing the 4k videos. The quality is still very good when zoomed-in to 1920 x 1080. I could also pinch and drag while paused (and have the paused video or picture without any extraneous words or symbols on the screen)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z3 connected to PTV.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	6560  
    Ryzen 7 1700 @ stock, EVO 960 500GB M.2 NVMe, G-Skill 2 x 16GB @ 2.4GHz,
    GA-AB350N-Gaming Wifi (mITX), EVGA GTX970. Media player: i7-6700k

I can't recommend enough... you're so good rid of your S3. And... I can't recommend enough a Galaxy S4 or S5. The best bang! My S4 Mini is the best device I ever spent money on.. so close to perfect that its closer to the sun than even my computer!

PS pls ignore Chill's advice - he's biased!
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

The S4/S4 Mini is out of date and knowing Samsung not likely to get anymore updates. +1 on the Z3 or Z3 compact, good phone. Unlike Samsung where their Mini phones are Mini in both size and spec reduced from their big brothers, IIRC the Z3 mini is pretty much identical to the Z3, just with a smaller screen.