Default Plod You Still Around? Imac 20" Fresh Installation

Hi Guys,

I bought my son a Imac 20" am sure its like a 2008 or 2009 model. It had leopard installed however I could not update it and decided to wipe everything off and start over. I wiped the drive however it only starts up now showing a white folder with a question mark in it. I was hoping it would let me go through an internet connection so I could install it but it doesnt. It has no recovery disc. Do I have to buy a version of Leopard at the Apple Store? These are the specs..

iMac "Core 2 Duo" 2.0 20-Inch (Aluminum) features a 2.0 GHz Intel "Core 2 Duo" processor (T7300), with two independent processor "cores" on a single silicon chip, a 4 MB shared level 2 cache, an 800 MHz system bus, 2 GB of RAM (667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, PC2-5300), a 250 GB (7200 RPM) Serial ATA hard drive, a vertically-mounted slot-loading DVD+R DL "SuperDrive", ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT graphics acceleration with 128 MB of GDDR3 memory, a built-in iSight video camera, and built-in stereo speakers underneath the 20" glossy TFT Active Matrix LCD 1680x1050 native
    Connectivity includes three USB 2.0 ports, a Firewire "400" port and a Firewire "800" port, built-in AirPort Extreme, and Gigabit Ethernet, as well as mini-DVI, which supports an external display in "extended desktop" mode.

Any suggestions welcome, I have a recovery disc from a previous Imac however it did not let me install the OS...

Default Re: Plod You Still Around? Imac 20" Fresh Installation

you could use a live cd to get it on the net, but probably still need leopard or newer (if there is), aint kept up with mac.

i've heard of open source mac os based on darwin if i recall correctly, could possibly be an alternative but you probably would prefer leopard back, i'd just go these ways just to play around with it.

Cheers,

KK

Buy a copy of Snow Leopard here: http://store.apple.com/nz/product/MC...6-snow-leopard it will let you update from there to a newer version. Not sure if that machine will work with 10.10 or not. No matter what you end up on, Snow Leopard is your starting point. Good time to chuck an SSD in seeming as it has no OS anyway.

Hi Alex, whats an SSD? lol... You mean more RAM? So if I buy a copy of the snow leopard that will solve the issue?

SSD is a solid state drive works a bit like a flash drive but has much more capacity. Used instead of a standard hard drive

Well, I have ordered the OS Leopard on the website as suggested, am just hoping that when it arrives it will install it :/

Trust me. I know what I'm doing.Sledge Hammer

Linux the only way to get rid of the windows boot sector virus ( Geoff Palmer , Jun 28, 2004 Tips & Help : Tux Love, PCWorld NZ)

Parkinsons NZ

Hi beama..yes I did unfortunately there was no recovery identified... I got news today the Leopard OS has been dispatched so we will install it with a fresh version