Default Charing/Battery issue on Galaxy Tab S

Just over a week ago I bought a Galaxy Tab S, but it's displaying some worrying issues.

Firstly, the battery life is quite short - the averge SOT I'm getting is only around 3-4 hours, and that's with web browsing being by far the main activity. No heavy gaming or skyping which could kill it quickly. Given the Tab S was reviewed as getting very good battery life, that's disappointing.

However, I'm wondering if it's actually a problem with the battery. I've noticed that when plugged in, it often charges a little, and then the cross appears over the battery in the notification shade and it stops charing - like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/26xtl1zsdj...-%201.png?dl=0

This is using the provided charger. I've tried the charger with several other devices, and none of them have shown any problems, so I believe it's definitely a tablet issue rather than a charger issue. This makes me wonder if there's something wrong with the battery, which is why is drains far quicker than expected from 100% (and, from community consensus on G+, far faster than what others experience).

Does anyone know why I might be experiencing the issue while charging, and is there anything it could be, rather than a battery issue, that I've not thought of?

Trying to gather as much information as possible about it, especially in case I have to take it back and convince them it's an issue as opposed to normal behavior and battery life.

Default Re: Charing/Battery issue on Galaxy Tab S

I have the same machine - batt life seems fine to me. I guess about 6 -7 hours and charging seems normal.
    Bear in mind that the screen gobbles up heaps of power so make sure that when not in actual use, close the flap up so screen blanks.
    Apart from that I'm afraid I'm not much help.
    Good luck - It's a very nice machine
    The floggings will continue until morale improves.
    No keyboard detected. Press F1 to continue.

What brightness do you have it set to? dropping down even a little from max can make a big difference. Also check the battery usage in the settings menu to see what's using it, might be an app chewing up batt life.
    Other than that if it's still not lasting go back to where you got it from and see what help they can offer, maybe you just got a bad one.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    I have the same machine - batt life seems fine to me. I guess about 6 -7 hours and charging seems normal.
    Bear in mind that the screen gobbles up heaps of power so make sure that when not in actual use, close the flap up so screen blanks.
    Apart from that I'm afraid I'm not much help.
    Good luck - It's a very nice machine
    6-7 hours was what the G+ consensus was as well, I'm getting just over half that
    I've got the smart case, and when I'm not actively using it, the screen is always off.

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    What brightness do you have it set to? dropping down even a little from max can make a big difference. Also check the battery usage in the settings menu to see what's using it, might be an app chewing up batt life.
    Other than that if it's still not lasting go back to where you got it from and see what help they can offer, maybe you just got a bad one.
    Brightness is set to Auto - and most of the time I'm using it is at night, just before I go to sleep - so the lights are off, and auto has the brightness set to either minimum or just a faction above it.

No app seems to be killing it, the screen uses about 40-50%, and then the google app, and varies system functions. Apart from that, Opera is the next highest, and that's only around 4%.