Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: WIN10 install.

Older by the minute

Default WIN10 install.

When the day comes, will it be possible to install WIN10 cleanly on a fresh partition and still keep WIN8.1 on its present partition so that I can dual boot?

Default Re: WIN10 install.

This way has been happening since NT, I don't see why they would change that now.

This is typically dual booting like any other.

Cheers,

KK

From what I can work out you would have to buy a copy. The free upgrade probably won't work.

Older by the minute

Thanks for the thoughts. Apparently you can dual boot - http://www.howtogeek.com/197647/how-...indows-7-or-8/

Its not a question of being able to dual boot.

Its a question as to whether the Windows 7 or 8.1 LICENSE gets deactivated when the upgrade goes in.

You can Dual boot at the moment no problems at all, because the license on the W10 previews has absolutely no reference to any previous install. But what will happen after the upgrade happens MS are not saying.
    What you "may" Find is while it will dual boot, the previous OS may suddenly start popping up saying invalid / Not genuine etc.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 18-06-2015 at 08:47 PM.

Just thought I'd do a bit more digging . ( big mistake) LOL

On the W10 insider program, its been asked quite a few times more or less what I posted above, example:
    It would appear, from all the information (and quite a lot of MS misinformation I might add !) that once a user decides to accept an update of their OS to win 10 - there is no defined or stated way to go back to the PREVIOUS OS and still have a valid key / license for said OS. We need an absolutely CLEAR statement from MS that the user can reinstall the previous OS at ANY TIME and retain full functionality and rights.
    A Microsoft System Support Engineers answered, only referred to the Free Previews.

So another person reposted the question:
    I think that the OP is asking;

That, after the final release of Windows 10 on 29th July, and accepting the upgrade, then after installation he decides that, he does not like Windows 10 and wishes to return to his previous operating system. Will he be allowed to downgrade or will Microsoft refuse to allow this, and be forced to remain with Windows 10?

I asked a similar question to this a while ago in another thread, and still not had a definitive answer.
    The answer to that was, from another Microsoft System Support Engineer

Thank you for keeping us updated and apologies for late response.

Are you referring to the release date of Windows 10 final version?
    Are you referring to installing Windows 10 Insider Preview through Windows update or final version?

In case if your answers is yes to both, the release date of Windows 10 final version is 29th July, 2015. And the terms and conditions of the license should be to 'accept' the update. Without 'accepting' the terms and conditions of license, you cannot proceed with the update.

Kindly revert if your question is still unanswered, we'll be happy to assist you further.

So AGAIN another person asked:
    what kind of bizarre corporate doublespeak answer it that???

let me clarify the question, i think what we all really want to know is..

#1. When the user updates their current OS to the windows 10 OS that will be released on July 29 2015,

will installing that windows 10 upgrade invalidate the users previous OS license?

#2 will the users previous OS license still be valid after installing the final July 29 2015 windows 10?

Currently NO actual answer From Microsoft !!!

Microsoft are worse than kindergarten kids when answering - I mean seriously, do they have a couple of divisions that actually have people / programmers who know what they are doing and the remainder are "yes" men /women or taught to be complete ding bats ?

God help us.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 18-06-2015 at 10:39 PM.

Older by the minute

Oh dear. I thought MS wanted to bring the world on board!!! If they revoke the licencing of previous OS, then I see no way back for them no matter what their monopoly might be. "You can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink". Upgrading to WIN10 will not be from me if they do revoke previous licences.

That's just a mess isn't it!
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

For regular entertainment and just to show how many people are having problems (& Win10 by the current previews is NOT anywhere near ready yet) the insider program can supply it all

You dont have to be a member to read anything, only to reply or post: Some "Light" reading

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...um?tab=Threads

Interesting read, here http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...review-builds/

Looks like my wife's Vista, now on win 10 preview, will get a freebie!