Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New car time.

Default Re: New car time.

Yep, always had small cars for economic reasons, but as this will be a second car I want something bigger for myself. Call it a mid life crisis if you like. The mark-x appeals as its rear wheel drive. Our current laser which we will be keeping is so under powered coming over the Wainui hill but doesn't seem to bother wife.
    I realise my budget is tight but have seen what I'm after in the price range, and as long as is no older than 10 years old.
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

wipe your paws.

pcsourcepoint

I went for a larger car, wanting more power, more space, and just to boot it up steep hills, e.g. the Bombays. I noted that I could easily coast down long inclines and roads due to momentum of the car's heavier mass (Odyssey Absolute weighs about 1.8 ton).

- But - 1. Cannot easily manoeuvre in my usual parking spots, e.g. at local shopping mall (s), and my doctor's. Simply a pain to back out amongs other parked cars.
    2. I busted the seal on my trusty 7 year old 2 ton trolley jack, when I did wheel rotation and oil change. Bought 3 ton jack, and stands. I just swapped out the brake pads and park shoes - suprisingly easy for a large car...but putting bulky 215/17 inch multi stud mags back on was not. Can be a pain.
    3. The doors are very heavy. Have to remember to close them a bit harder.

No choiuce for the Honda Accord? I think more popular globally than the Legend, and possibly more stylish interior, and I know many cheap new aftermarket parts online.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

Quote Originally Posted by kahawai chaser View Post
    I went for a larger car, wanting more power, more space, and just to boot it up steep hills, e.g. the Bombays. I noted that I could easily coast down long inclines and roads due to momentum of the car's heavier mass (Odyssey Absolute weighs about 1.8 ton).

- But - 1. Cannot easily manoeuvre in my usual parking spots, e.g. at local shopping mall (s), and my doctor's. Simply a pain to back out amongs other parked cars.
    2. I busted the seal on my trusty 7 year old 2 ton trolley jack, when I did wheel rotation and oil change. Bought 3 ton jack, and stands. I just swapped out the brake pads and park shoes - suprisingly easy for a large car...but putting bulky 215/17 inch multi stud mags back on was not. Can be a pain.
    3. The doors are very heavy. Have to remember to close them a bit harder.

No choiuce for the Honda Accord? I think more popular globally than the Legend, and possibly more stylish interior, and I know many cheap new aftermarket parts online.
    yes looked at the accord euro, very nice car. Haven't seen many in welly in price range that aren't pos.
    PS. The bombays is not a hill.

Quote Originally Posted by plod View Post

The Hill that really tests cars, over time Wainuiomata Hill Drive over -- And before any one asks NO its not me or SWMBO, its a video I found on youtube -- Slow buggers. Better

SWMBO says her car has a problem with the the Hill, it always wants to jump into the right hand lane, drop down a gear and scoot past all the slow buggers -- Not that's shes a bad driver ( shes good actually) , just I hang on when shes driving over that hill
    Last edited by wainuitech; 02-06-2015 at 08:47 PM.

I had a 2003 Maxima - best car I ever owned - luxury leather, more-than-adequate power, chain drive. Wish I still had it.

Well it won't be new, time to give up commuting on the bike.
    Currently looking at the Toyota Mark-x , Nissan teana or maxima and the honda legend, Fuel economy is not an issue as my weekly commute is light. In saying that I was car sitting a mates Fairmount and that was on the thirsty side. Anyone had experience with these cars? Looking at 2007 models and later
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I had a 2003 Maxima - best car I ever owned - luxury leather, more-than-adequate power, chain drive. Wish I still had it.
    Still have a 98 Maxima SEL owned since 99(15+ years) in that time only an oxygen sensor, and just lately CV Boots(after market) along with the usual maintenance stuff,very well put together

[QUOTE=Greg;1224210]luxury leather, more-than-adequate power, chain drive. /QUOTE]

Bingo, probably describes what I'm after

[QUOTE=plod;1224216]
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    luxury leather, more-than-adequate power, chain drive. /QUOTE]

Bingo, probably describes what I'm after
    The car was the top of the range model in its day, only had 78k kms. Only drawback was no traction control.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

pcsourcepoint

yes looked at the accord euro, very nice car. Haven't seen many in welly in price range that aren't pos.
    OK. Bombay not a hill - maybe a long gradual incline. Though been resurfaced/rebuilt - so perhaps definately not a hill now.

I think I seen the Wainuiomata hill. Is it visble from the lower hutt/Gracefield/hutt park raceway? I stayed at the hotel there, when run/owned by wrestler steve rickard. I was doing work at UEB industries and DSIR up (or down) the road.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)