Default Sometimes us amateurs can perform miracles

I dropped my oldish Asus laptop on the kitchen floor the other day. It was pretty wrecked, but as my g/f still needs it I gave it a go. After a few hiccups, such as error messages, and needing to do a repair and reinstall drivers for mouse and keyboard, lo and behold it works! The screen and built-in keyboard look very sorry, but as she uses external keyboard and monitor that's no problem. I was really amazed.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

Default Re: Sometimes us amateurs can perform miracles

Years ago son had a desktop - ASUS MB in it.
    He had the desktop on a bench and the monitor on a table. I told him not to screw the connection from monitor into GPU cause he'd knock it one day.

Sure enough, he did.
    Both items hit the ground rather hard and he lost his temper and decided to punish the PC by booting it around the floor with his steel capped boots.

When he finally admitted it and showed me the poor PC had had it's GPU ripped out, the case was squashed, causing drives to burst out, MB screws bent and some out altogether, on/off switches etc were no longer in existence and so on. A mangled mess.

I panelbeated the case, put everything back in, hotwired the on/off wires and volia it booted quite happily.
    He had that PC for another couple of years (and the monitor) - starting it up thereafter with the hot wiring method. And not screwed in again and not on 2 separate benchtops....'
    wipe your paws.

If it was working fine before you dropped it and needed software repairs afterwards I'd be checking the health of the hdd personally.
    It's possible something just got corrupted but it's also possible the hdd took some physical damage and may not be reliable.

Good skills though, laptops are enough of a pain to work on when they haven't been dropped.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    it's also possible the hdd took some physical damage and may not be reliable.
    If it was going I'd agree.
    If it wasn't, then it's probably fine, the G force required to cause damage is pretty high for a non spinning drive.
    wipe your paws.

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    If it was going I'd agree.
    If it wasn't, then it's probably fine, the G force required to cause damage is pretty high for a non spinning drive.
    Same thoughts. But dunno if it was going at the same, as I was moving it while it may have been just on standby or whatever after I unplugged it to work on some stuff in another part of the house with better lighting. Maybe it went into hibernation? But the battery was still powering it in the interim, methinks.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.