Default Carrying HDMI over 10-13m to a LCD TV to output HDMI.

I had a look at an extension 10m HDMI cable at JB HIFI. Can I be confident that it will take the HDMI signal from my Freeview decoder over 10-13m through my house to the LCD TV screen in the other room? Or is there a way to wirelessly carry the HDMI signal across the 10-13m distance? I know that the house has a satdish where a previous flatmate used to get the signal from the satdish to the other room where he outputted the satdish signal on his TV. Thanks in advance for your assistance

Default Re: Carrying HDMI over 10-13m to a LCD TV to output HDMI.

I would say if you buy a 10M HDMI cabe and it doesn't work you'd have excellent grounds to demand a refund as the product would have no purpose to exist. You call it an extension though, would there be another length of cable connected to it and if so how long? Also freeview is only 1080i or 720p so it needs less bandwidth than blu-ray and should work better (unless the decoder upscales for some reason). My feeling is it'll work just fine.

You can get adapters to convert HDMI to ethernet and use a cat5 cable to carry it. They need power and might cost more than a cable though, I haven't looked myself. Could be an option. One thing, if you plan to use it in a differnt room I guess you maybe intend to connect it to different devices, I'm not sure how well HDMI would stand up to frequent plugging in and out so you might want a switch or something as well.

Here's the thing with digital signals, over short distances almost any piece of wire can carry them so a cheap 3M cable tends to work the same as an expensive one. However the longer the signal needs to travel the more the quality of the cable will effect it so at 10-20M even "cheap" cables aren't that cheap and quality does matter.
    1080P is a high frequency digital signal and degrades fast, but as long as the level is above the input threshold at the far end it'll work perfectly.

There is likely no way to future proof either, a test I read a few years ago comparing various expensive 15 and 20M cables found that while they all worked reasonably for 1080P most failed a simulated 1400P (an assumed future standard at the time) test and although 4K was not a thing at the time there's no chance it would work over the same cables.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Me

15 meters works fine. Mine was ex trade me for about $20. Video card to Sony TV

Yeah I've used up to 20m (1080p) with no issues. Just needs to be a good quality cable - I've found Digitus to be excellent.

But if you need more than 1080p it might not work so well. They need to get a new certification for cables etc so you know that what you're buying will work with 4k.
    Last edited by wratterus; 28-04-2015 at 10:52 AM.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Realised that a Cat six cable runs from the lounge to the other room so that it may be a simpler and cheaper matter of getting a short HDMI cable and an Ethernet HDMI adaptor and hey presto the Freeview signal is carried along both cables into the TV if it's in the other room. The Ethernet cable runs underfloor so it would be a very elegant solution to the matter if I can bring it about? Thoughts? Ciao