Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Convert .mkv to .mp4 and KEEP subtitles

Hi,
    I have a .mkv video file with subtitles (the subtitles are like hard/soft coded and not an extra file). When I try and convert to mp4 the subtitles don't convert, they drop out.
    I have had a look on the net but there is mix reviews using Handbrake and VideCoder.
    Can someone reccommend please a FREE easy to use converter that produces a high quality mp4 (the .mkv file is HD quality), does not put the audio sync out of place and KEEPS the subtitles. What would be an added bonus is a link to a good site where I will not get attacked by a browser hijacker etc. Actually, how do you tell a reputable download site from one that packs their software with hijackers?
    You help, as always is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks PressF1, champs the lot of you!!!
    Apo

Default Re: Convert .mkv to .mp4 and KEEP subtitles

Vidcoder works well https://vidcoder.codeplex.com/ The download is on the right hand side, purple button. Just look as to whats being asked to install.

If you want to keep the Subs ( most people want them removed) open the program, you can go to Tools/Options/ Audio-Subtitles and theres a few options there.

As for Quality, on the Editing /setting Button you can change many things to suit.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 18-04-2015 at 01:46 PM.

As always Wainuitech, you are the Man... reliable!! Thanks bro. will download now and convert. Cheers again

Not working... downloaded vidcoder and have re-encoded the video 6 times now with different subtitle settings and either the subtitle is missing or there is a problem and the video refuses to open. Something not rights unfortunately....

Whats the original Video ? Maybe theres a problem with it. Can you supply a link ?

Also What Player are you using. ?

The Two I use these days are either Media Player Classic https://mpc-hc.org/ OR its not easy to find but ALPlayer http://www.altools.com/ALTools/ALPlayer.aspx ALPlayer comes with many codecs that will play just about anything. And if its something Out of the "ordinary" read what it says under the download button --Built-in Codecs & Online Codec Center
    Last edited by wainuitech; 18-04-2015 at 04:53 PM.

You could try the 30 day trial of DVD fab, it has a lot of ripping and conversion options and works really well. It'll probably watermark the video and is overpriced to buy but at least you can try it first and they do let you buy individual modules rather than the whole suite.

As for free you mentioned handbrake, might as well give it a try and see what happens. It is one of the most popular free tools for a reason.
    What do you need to play the files on that they need converting? .mkv is a good container and if you can get the files to play directly it's better than converting them.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

pcsourcepoint

The issue I think is extracting the subtitle. Try MKVextractGUI then a converter, e.g. format factory. Described here.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

Smart converter
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

My question would be why go from a higher compression container to expanding it to mp4?

I know mkv isn't supported on a lot of devices which I assume would be your reason, although possible to maybe get it supported. Hacked firmwares/mods etc

Handbrake works well. I used it to discover the profiles it used for making compatible movies for devices that didn't support mkv. Its open source so shouldn't be bundled with junk.

I actually use mencoder for transcoding but had no clue on how to make mkv to mp4 compatible to a certain device until I made one using handbrake and examined how to mimick it.

If you are trying to make it device compatible, handbrake be easy to use, it has many profiles to use for most cases but mencoder is pretty much an ultimate command line tool for transcoding, just you really need to know a lot on codecs and video/sound processing to take full advantage of it.

Cheers,

KK

Sorry for slow reply. The original video was given to me. Its awesome quality and has the subtitles hard coded/soft coded into it. I was going to pass it to a friend who is more computer illiterate than me so wanted to re-encode to MP4 with the subtitles fixed but no matter what I did with vidcoder, no subtitles. The video plays awesome with .mkv player and the subtitles are big and clear. I would have thought this would be pretty strait forward.