Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Hitman Pro Error 1260 during update + three other issues

Hi Team. Problems per the title, Update starts ok but then throws up the 1260 error.

Secondly, I cannot update MS Security Essentials. It takes an inordinately long time to download new definitions, then quits with an 'internet connectivity' error message.

Yes, I know I should have abandoned MSE long ago but I am overloaded with work at present (this is a good thing) so I am loath to make changes that might cause me grief.

Thirdly I still have the Java Update problem that says something along the lines of adminstrator privileges.

Fourthly, I cannot logon to TUC (Traffic Usage Checker). This came out of the blue, one day it was fine, next day not and it appears to be a logon problem.

The Java issue appeared first, and I'm wondering if the others are a flow-on effect of some sort.

There are no other issues apparent, no passwords have been changed and everything else seems OK.

Any ideas??

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Now I'm getting worried! Trend Micro Housecall throws up exactly the same administrator message as the Java issue. That makes four other issues
    Last edited by Billy T; 11-04-2015 at 10:45 PM.
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!

Default Re: Hitman Pro Error 1260 during update + three other issues

Its all to do with the same thing. Malware of some description has gotten in and changed the policies, which in turn is stopping ANY type of antimalware / Antivirus program from running.

I cant test this as I don't have a XP home ( which I assume you have still) normally you would use gpedit, but home editions don't have it.

Did find this though - No idea if it works or not, so try at your own risk.
    Click Start< Run and type secpol.msc and hit enter

Select and highlight "Software Restriction Policies." This will show you the options on the right hand side of the screen. Once you have "Software Restriction Policies" highlighted, click on "Actions" at the top of the group policy object editor window. In this menu choose "Delete Software Restriction Policy." An alert window will pop up, asking if you are sure you want to delete all the software restriction policies. Click "Yes."
    From post #6 here http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-xp...on-policy.html

I would also at least run the Nod32 online scanner, I did this recently on an infected laptop and it fixed it. It took an hour to run.

Risky to diagnose anything remotely of course, but as mentioned this type of program blocking is something some malware is known to do. Basically they are written to prevent anything that might detect or remove them from doing so. As well as Wainui and Gary's suggestions I'd be looking at running some other malware scanners also if you can get any to run. Maybe try safemode with networking and run MBAM, NOD32 online, etc.

I've been stubbornly sticking to MSE/Defender myself and haven't had any issues but every time these threads come up I consider moving to NOD32. For me the threat of losing everything and starting over is not that bad so I don't worry too much but for some people it would be a major issue and might be worth considering better protection.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Its all to do with the same thing. Malware of some description has gotten in and changed the policies, which in turn is stopping ANY type of antimalware / Antivirus program from running.

I cant test this as I don't have a XP home ( which I assume you have still) normally you would use gpedit, but home editions don't have it.

Hi Wainui

OS is XP-Pro

Presumably that makes a difference

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post

Hi Wainui

OS is XP-Pro

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Quote Originally Posted by Billy T View Post
    Hi Wainui

OS is XP-Pro

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Forgot to mention, I ran MWB last night and it did a full scan but found nothing. I'll see if NOD32 will run.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Hi Billy, being XP Pro does make a defiance in the last post, theres a link http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-xp...on-policy.html in post #6 theres another link -- Direct Link http://www.ehow.com/how_6862152_dele...-policies.html You need #3&4

Have a read of both the first link tells you how to open gpedit.

As mentioned have not tried it as mine don't have any entries in the restriction windows, so cant test it.

To your post above -- if polices have changed antivirus software may not find anything, Something has changed them and may have already been removed by other antimalware, but their actions to the polices will stay the same.

Edited: Just created some polices to show with Pictures.
    1st - no polices
    2nd - Polices
    3rd- deleting
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_1.png 
Views:	129 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	6370Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	6371Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_3.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	6372
    Last edited by wainuitech; 12-04-2015 at 11:05 AM.

OK

I found a way to run Hitman Pro at its existing settings and defiunitions etc, but that raised no issues.

Secondly, I found Gpedit OK and found that there were no logged restrictions (see screen dump).

Something elsle or something deeper is going on here

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soft-Restrict.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	6375  

Hmmmmm OK you can try resetting the polices, you need to open a cmd and type or copy paste the following instructions.

secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose

As described http://windowsitpro.com/windows/jsi-...fault-settings and http://nj180degree.net/2010/11/01/re...dows-security/

If that doesn't work, take it out back and shoot it

Edited: if you still have anything relating to CryptoPrevent installed it may pay to remove it, that can be causing problems as well.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 12-04-2015 at 05:35 PM.