Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Command Prompt

Default Re: Command Prompt

Can u please explain what u mean >>>>

If you were to boot from a DVD Win8/8.1 or a WinPE you can do even more
    Not a problem

When you boot from a windows DVD if you go to repair Computer you navigate through and get to the command prompt option. WinPE (Windows Preinstallation Environment ) boots directly to a command prompt only, no GUI interface so all actions are commands. BUT you can open Windows programs from the command, Eg: notepad, taskmanager, regedit.

The bootable commands allows you to do tasks that cant be done while the OS is running.

The example command I post before -- What it does in simple terms is makes a image of the Operating system to another drive in the form of a .wim file.

Here's another example ( had to do this yesterday - was posted as well a couple of days ago) -- Lets say you have a computer, you don't know the password and cant get hold of the owner, its a win8.1 using a email password, so you enable the hidden admin account and bypass it. Boot from a Windows DVD /Winpe type in the right commands, and you can show the hidden administrator account and carry on.

You can also do a lot of other tasks, some of the commands are quite complicated, and its a real PITA when you type a few lines of commands and its wrong someplace ( been there done that)

When booting from a DVD to command its not usually locking anything, where as within windows you cant do it.

Okay -- WARNING -- The following DONT TRY IT unless you are using a spare drive to "play" If you booted from a DVD and type in <press enter> after each command

diskpart
    select disk 0
    clean

Guess what you have just done ?

(AGAIN don't blame me if you did it)

Theres lots of hidden gems as well -- Wanna watch star Wars ? Make sure telnet is enabled in programs and features, then in a command type telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl.

On your other question:
    command to show up how many wireless devices are connected to the router
    Try
    netstat -a

Some other reading relating to netstat https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../bb490947.aspx
    Last edited by wainuitech; 11-04-2015 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Not a problem

When you boot from a windows DVD if you go to repair Computer you navigate through and get to the command prompt option. WinPE (Windows Preinstallation Environment ) boots directly to a command prompt only, no GUI interface so all actions are commands. BUT you can open Windows programs from the command, Eg: notepad, taskmanager, regedit.

The bootable commands allows you to do tasks that cant be done while the OS is running.

The example command I post before -- What it does in simple terms is makes a image of the Operating system to another drive in the form of a .wim file.

Here's another example ( had to do this yesterday - was posted as well a couple of days ago) -- Lets say you have a computer, you don't know the password and cant get hold of the owner, its a win8.1 using a email password, so you enable the hidden admin account and bypass it. Boot from a Windows DVD /Winpe type in the right commands, and you can show the hidden administrator account and carry on.

You can also do a lot of other tasks, some of the commands are quite complicated, and its a real PITA when you type a few lines of commands and its wrong someplace ( been there done that)

When booting from a DVD to command its not usually locking anything, where as within windows you cant do it.

Okay -- WARNING -- The following DONT TRY IT unless you are using a spare drive to "play" If you booted from a DVD and type in <press enter> after each command

diskpart
    select disk 0
    clean

Guess what you have just done ?

(AGAIN don't blame me if you did it)

Theres lots of hidden gems as well -- Wanna watch star Wars ? Make sure telnet is enabled in programs and features, then in a command type telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl.

On your other question: Try
    netstat -a

Some other reading relating to netstat https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../bb490947.aspx

Thanks so much for letting me know . Now before this message you said you were going to send me some commands which i can try , can you send me that .

Thanks

try help - it lists available commands and some syntax
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by AppleFan View Post
    Thanks so much for letting me know . Now before this message you said you were going to send me some commands which i can try , can you send me that .

Thanks
    Shoot -- theres lots to play about with But I'll give a couple: heres short list http://ss64.com/nt/

open a command prompt

ewww heres one that is very helpful. (type the following <press enter after each command>)

help It displays a list of commands and what they do. The help is also available in any command by adding /? after the command Eg: chkdsk /?

One that is used a lot to enter PC's when required. ( theres another command from a DVD/Winpe that's needed first if you cant get into windows, but if in windows you can simply type)

from the admin cmd net user administrator /active:yes

On reboot you'll have the hidden real admin account to log into.

Some basics that cant really do any harm ( famous last words ) pays to get to know them first.

Advise: NO ONE knows all the commands off the top of their head, theres simply to many and to complicated -- drifting off a bit, you will have seen me mention WinPE a few times heres the quick basic way ??? of making the ISO / CD https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../dn293200.aspx

Anyway, back to basics: lets make a directory or three (folders) with several sub folders on the C drive - Open a command prompt type the following.

cd C:\
    md Test
    cd test
    md one
    cd one
    md two
    cd two
    md Saturday
    md Sunday

Now if you go to your C drive, you'll find a folder there called Test, open that folder and you'll find One, open that and you'll have two, open that and you'll have Saturday and Sunday.

What those commands mean:

cd = change directory
    md = Make Directory
    Numbers and names as you want.

Screen shot of commands:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Commands.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	6368

Basically with Command prompt you have to tell it exactly what you are wanting to do, and where to do it. Then you add in switches and other options.

I have my command prompt to always run as the administrator as some commands need admin rights some don't, so easier to simply have it run as admin all the time.

As PCTek posted -- Slight oops on the persons part.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 11-04-2015 at 04:28 PM.

ok thanks will look into it later
    Last edited by AppleFan; 11-04-2015 at 09:04 PM.

I like the netplwiz command myself. Why MS hide some GUI based functions away and make them easiest to access by knowing the command line is beyond me. That one for example is where you can set windows 8 to not require your password on boot up.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    I like the netplwiz command myself. Why MS hide some GUI based functions away and make them easiest to access by knowing the command line is beyond me. That one for example is where you can set windows 8 to not require your password on boot up.
    Maybe because its in the system32 folder ? You can make a shortcut, but to some users it will be dangerous -- You know "no one touched anything"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_1.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	6374

Had to play in system32 One I didn't know existed and could be useful credwiz Now what else can be found hehe

fsmgnt
    Last edited by wainuitech; 12-04-2015 at 11:25 AM.

oops should be fsmgmt Helpful if a person has brain fade

pcsourcepoint

I remember around 1983 - 86 we used DOS/Command prompts quite a bit at work.

- Copy and XCopy (had a few switches) commands
    -The echo and @echo command to output text on screen or not (on/off)
    - Autoexec. bat with command.com, and config.sys. We played around with these commands, I think to boot up. But I recall a dongle had to be attached at the back of the PC sometimes (can't remember why)
    - Print commands to print on ribbon printer, e.g. print /d:LPT2: C:\autoexec.bat

Also there were DOS programs, e.g, Edlin Editor, MSDOS editor and the early versions of Norton Utilities (with the useful undelete/unerase) then Norton Commander.

Hard drive capacity were only about 0.5MB to1MB then. Then Wordperfect and 1-2-3 came out. Dramatically sped up work.
    Last edited by kahawai chaser; 12-04-2015 at 07:11 PM.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    On your other question: Try
    netstat -a
    netstat cannot do what the OP is asking for. The only place he can get a list of current wireless clients is from his AP; there is no command available in a standard Windows install which can achieve this.