Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Can I use an old router as a wireless range extender?

Since I have gone to VDSL I have a surplus ADSL wireless router, and I was wondering if I could plug it into am ethernet port in a distant part of the house and effectively use it as a wireless extender. I would want it just to provide the wireless access, i.e. no DHCP, no gateway, as that would be provided by my main router.

Is that do-able, or am I conceptually wrong? What settings do I need to look at to get it set up that way?

All (constructive ) contributions gratefully received.
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Default Re: Can I use an old router as a wireless range extender?

Generally yes you can, just need to disable some settings and enter others. Depending on the make of your Router will depend on where the settings are, but the following article gives the basics : http://www.tweaktown.com/guides/1575...int/index.html
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Thanks Wainui - I'll check it out.

If it won't work I have an extender here still boxed that I might be willing to exchange for money.

Easiest thing to do, ensure IP is diff, disable dhcp, set wireless the same, make sure wireless on both use the same channel, link it and test it out.

Nothing really special to this setup, its more difficult if you don't use the Ethernet and aim to set up a repeater.

Cheers,

KK

Hey Gary,

What's your extender?

Maybe interested.

Cheers,

KK

Quote Originally Posted by Kame View Post
    Easiest thing to do, ensure IP is diff, disable dhcp, set wireless the same, make sure wireless on both use the same channel, link it and test it out.

Nothing really special to this setup, its more difficult if you don't use the Ethernet and aim to set up a repeater.

Cheers,

KK
    That's interesting - In the link Wainui posted they say the wireless channels should be different. I'm still working my way through it - I'll report back.

Thanks for the offer but I'm not in the market for an actual extender - I'm only trying this because I (maybe) have the gear.

Should test both methods out, same or diff. The thing is most routers select channels automatically to not conflict with the neighbours channel which is a different network.

Same network, same SSID, same everything for it to work seamlessly and is also the approach for repeaters.

I just set this up just last night so haven't had issues but just tried channel differences and got connected at 12Mbps, whether its related or not I dunno but I switched it back.

Cheers,

KK

Just had a look at the link, but it seems he keeps track of which router he's accessing, that's why he uses diff SSID and a diff channel as its treated as separate.

Also means two logins, delays in switching between one or the other, the first one you connect to will hold onto you till the signal is lost, not till you get closer to a better network.

Keep it all the same if it does not matter which one you connect to, the main router keeps track of those connected.

Cheers,

KK

Quote Originally Posted by Kame View Post
    Just had a look at the link, but it seems he keeps track of which router he's accessing, that's why he uses diff SSID and a diff channel as its treated as separate.

Also means two logins, delays in switching between one or the other, the first one you connect to will hold onto you till the signal is lost, not till you get closer to a better network.

Keep it all the same if it does not matter which one you connect to, the main router keeps track of those connected.

Cheers,

KK
    I'd sort of come to the same conclusion. I'll be trying it out this morning.What I'm looking for is just the ability to seamlessly acquire a signal from the strongest available.