Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Installing Gargoyle on Technicolor TG589vn V2

A relative recently got a message from Spark saying they were over 80% of their broadband usage for the month. They use a Technicolor TG589vn V2 modem/router, which works for them given their normally pretty light usage. Had a look at their usage, and it's fluctuated really notably from month to month - but also the high usage is surprising given what they do with it.

What I'd like to do would be to install Gargoyle so I could check usage per connected device, and then try and see what was causing the increase in usage.

Is it possible to install Gargoyle on the Technicolor TG589vn V2, and how would I do this?

I've flashed Gargoyle before, but a while ago, and onto a router which was bought with Gargoyle compatibility in mind.

Default Re: Installing Gargoyle on Technicolor TG589vn V2

No , pretty much cant do this for devices with modems in them

Put a router behind the modem, or move to unlimited xDSL

https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki...tested_routers

Hey i also faced similar problem . I noticed my usage was getting higher day by day say if i used 1gb today tomorrow will be 3, 4 or 5 gb .

So i thought to install this software called Networx .

https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

I have set it up to monitor my usage .

I suggest you should install in on your computer and measure it .

One thing is i found is can't have this software on mobile phones like android or ios smartphones.
    Last edited by AppleFan; 25-03-2015 at 06:20 PM.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Get yourself something like a TL-WR1043ND and flash Gargoyle onto it, then disable the WiFi in your TG589Vn. It's honestly a 3 minute job, I've filmed it from start -> finish using Glass one time

There's a very limited selection of DSL devices that Gargoyle works on, to the point it's not even worth mentioning (Like Nathan said). Presume that the device in front of Gargoyle is *purely* there to convert xDSL to either PPPoE or an IP address if you don't mind double-NAT.
    Or, useful for UFB where your ISP doesn't require VLAN 10 for the WAN Port.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Yea, figured it probably wouldn't work, couldn't see anything on how to get it running when I googled, but worth double checking. They're probably not going to want to buy anything just yet, if it happens frequently they might though.

Given what I really want to do is to monitor usage per device, is there a way to do this without needing to buy anything?

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Not with your setup. As mentioned, software-based solutions aren't really ideal unless it's just a single PC you want to monitor. Doing it on the router is really the best solution.

Pitch it as a good thing, better WiFi range, more reliable, PLUS you can see who's using what, assign them a daily / weekly / monthly quota (Then either throttle the excessive user or cut them off completely). Glass half full mate
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Thanks Chill, figured it'd have to be router based, worth a shot.

I'll suggest grabbing a new router and see what the response is.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleFan View Post
    Hey i also faced similar problem . I noticed my usage was getting higher day by day say if i used 1gb today tomorrow will be 3, 4 or 5 gb .

With some of the previous posts asking for private connections -- Try turning off the Torrent programs, they will seed as long as they are running. If you download 1GB then expect the outgoing/seeding to double or triple or even more.

Been using Networx for years and it will give you down to the minute a report on incoming and outgoing traffic.

VoidMaster

Checking for seeding torrent programs is a good idea, also check for teenagers viewing uTube etc, they can go through 100's of Mbits a day doing that.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

No teenagers in the house, so no problems there! Will check in case on of them has a torrent running.