Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ak council plastic bag ban ??

I heard on the radio today, that Ak council are discussing a plastic bag ban
    What reality do these people live in? , certainly not the real world as I know it.

Instead lets ban paper bags and cardboard boxes .
    I see more of an issue with paper rubbish littering the streets. McDonalds(and the others) paper bags & boxes are everywhere .
    Paper is far more polluting than plastic . Go downstream from a paper mill and tell me thats not true.
    Recycling paper creates nasty toxic byproducts, that a few years back was so nasty we shipped it off to 3rd world countries for disposal (thats not often mentioned)

Why target the plastic bag (cough cough TheWarehouse) , when packaging in general is more an issue than the bag we carry it home in.
    Are they also going to ban any plastic bag that our bread & frozen veges come in. Do we now have to buy frozen veges unbagged & carry them home in our pockets?

These people who suggest these things are idiots.

Default Re: Ak council plastic bag ban ??

Plastic bags can be made bio Degradable so they will disappear on their own given time.

Just a question on the Cardboard boxes -- What would you propose replaces it ? The majority of items come packaged in Cardboard Boxes in one form or another, so how would items be shipped, stored and distributed ?

Why target the plastic bag (cough cough TheWarehouse)
    They are optional -- most warehouse stores will charge you 5 Cents ( I think) for each plastic bag you use, so its easier not to buy them or simply take your own bag. Some of the super markets sell carry bags, they work well for general day to day small items.

Like these http://www.alburyshoppingbags.co.nz/shopping-bags.php
    Last edited by wainuitech; 13-03-2015 at 09:51 AM.

Another decision made by lefty Len and his over paid council; workers. We use super market bags for lots of things after we bring them home. Like dog poo bags, rubbish bin liners, reusing them again in a community center. Another knee jerk to a problem that doesn't exist a bit like the so called terrible air pollution in Auckland.. AS Wainui said they can be made bio Degradable..
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Instead lets ban paper bags and cardboard boxes .
    Paper is far more polluting than plastic . Go downstream from a paper mill and tell me thats not true.
    Recycling paper creates nasty toxic byproducts
    :
    Really.
    Go put a paper bag in your compost bin and a plastic bag.
    Come back in 6 months and tell me what's there.
    wipe your paws.

Do what they do in Germany. All plastic containers have to be degradable. Its nothing new, in 1953 we had stubby beer bottles which degraded unless they were kept cool and in the dark. If you left a stubby in the sun it would disintegrate, took a while. Its just a matter for the Government to announce that all future packaging would be degradable, industry would find a way to do it. Cardboard and paper may look untidy but will break down.

I find plastic bags very useful, banning them would annoy me quite a bit. I do buy the re-usable supermarket bags but always forget to take them with me.
    Replace the rubbish bags on the street with paper and see how bad paper bags can be, they are not weather proof, animal proof, or particularly easy to seal.

However suggesting they ban something else that's useful instead is foolish, don't ban either I say. Paper and cardboard packaging has it's uses and whatever the paper mill might be like I don't believe for a second that plastic is better than modern paper or cardboard as far as the environment is concerned. Both paper and cardboard are biodegradable and renewable resources. Paper is not floating around in the ocean killing wildlife.

Have you gone to a plastic bag manufacturing facility or researched it to compare it to the paper mill or is it just a guess when you say it's worse?
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Making Councillors biodegradable might be more helpful. A system that causes them to self-destruct 20 seconds after they emit any noise should be fairly handy.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

So why do they not make them bio de gradeable in NZ?
    "The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living." Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    They are optional -- most warehouse stores will charge you 5 Cents ( I think) for each plastic bag you use, so its easier not to buy them or simply take your own bag.
    The Warehouse donates the proceeds from those sales back into the community. Look for the funds raised barometers near to the entrance of their stores. Most amounts raised from individual stores are way into the tens of thousands.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by WalOne View Post
    The Warehouse donates the proceeds from those sales back into the community. Look for the funds raised barometers near to the entrance of their stores. Most amounts raised from individual stores are way into the tens of thousands.
    Hmmmm Is that how the chips get entered. Every time we have brought something along with a bag there's never been any question asking who we wanted to donate to. Theres been plenty of times theres a line of people and never seen anyone get asked or chips put in.