Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Old guy

Default Re: BP's winfreefuel

Quote Originally Posted by bk T View Post
    I finally got it working.

The following is a bit out of topic:

Are all brands of petrol the same?

I notice that 'Z' is the worst among all other brands - BP, Mobil and Caltex are pretty similar - much better than 'Z'. If I have to pump in 'Z' in 'emergency' case, I notice immediately the 'lack' of power /sluggish. I have tried with Honda, Toyota, Nissan and FIAT all with very similar results - has been like this since the early 70's.
    Yes they are. They are all supplied from the same place.

Only difference are the additives each adds to their brand.

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    I despair of people who burn gas going out of their way for a cheaper price. You save $4-6 dollars in an average car for a full tank @ $0.10 a litre so that's the equivalent of 2-3 litres of fuel. It's worth making a short detour for while you are already driving but it's not worth a special trip - it costs more than that to start your car up and drive it to the petrol station.
    +1

I'm well placed geographically to take advantage of arguably the cheapest pump price in Auckland, at Caltex Otara. I pass within 150m either direction on the Southern Motorway several times a week, so I judge my visit to those pumps accordingly. This station also runs pump specials and the discount on the pump price further reduces my spend.

The secret to achieving maximum advantage of the AA Smartfuel Caltex discounts is to buy $40 at a time, $40 being the minimum at which the discount becomes available. If I need more than $40 I wait until I can get 2 x $40, and thus double the discount. I accumulate the discount rather than use it immediately, and then spend it at one hit, when I buy a maximum 50L. Currently I've accumulated about $0.96/ L discount - applied to 50L, I save $48.00 - during February alone.

It's almost an ethical maths problem to prove mine is the right approach - or not. In the meantime, I'm happy.

Last edited by WalOne; 01-03-2015 at 10:08 AM.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Try to use only bp in the bike. Had to fill up at Mobil last time and there is a noticeable difference

I've been using a fuel card for years, I never pay full price, usually get 7c-10c off, and the amount is deducted from your account once a month. Discounts change from time to time, but there seems to be a bit of competition.
    I use http://www.ulysses.org.nz/pdf/arfai-...or-ulysses.pdf , but there are others out there. Apart from being a customer I have nothing to do with Ulysses, and can't recall having comunnicated with them since I started using their service maybe 15 years ago. So this is information, not advertising.
    You can get cards from leading brands ie Shell. BP, etc and don't have to stop at one card.