Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double glazing

Default Double glazing

looking at getting my wooden windows replaced with double glazed either inserts or whole windows. Has anyone here done this. Aluminium or pvc? Any idea on price as I have no idea. Not sure if it's even financially viable at the moment. And I will be looking at getting quotes but not even sure what a ball park figure would be
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

Default Re: Double glazing

I have done inserts quick to do and works well not that much cheaper though. If you don't want to do maintenance then full replacement as both aluminum and Upvc are maintenance free. Don't discount Upvc they are very good and made for NZ conditions and should be cheaper than aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    I have done inserts quick to do and works well not that much cheaper though. If you don't want to do maintenance then full replacement as both aluminum and Upvc are maintenance free. Don't discount Upvc they are very good and made for NZ conditions and should be cheaper than aluminum.
    Cheers Gary, people seem to be put off by the Upvc for some reason, cant understand since so popular overseas. Have you any idea on cost?

Wood is better than aluminium in terms of insulation. I had my whole house done by metrofit for around 3.5k including tinted glass. They make inserts for your existing windows. I'm very happy with the results. Mine is a small house with aluminium joinery though.

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    I had my whole house done by metrofit for around 3.5k including tinted glass.
    Crikey ... I got told it would be nearly $1000/window when I made some general enquiries. Cannot remember which company though as it was at a Home Show.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Crikey ... I got told it would be nearly $1000/window when I made some general enquiries. Cannot remember which company though as it was at a Home Show.
    is that for whole window or to retrofit old window

Pretty sure that was retrofitting. Aluminium joinery and a window size of 1600 x 950 mm. I would be interested what sort of prices you've had.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Pretty sure that was retrofitting. Aluminium joinery and a window size of 1600 x 950 mm. I would be interested what sort of prices you've had.
    Haven't had any yet. But will post when through

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Would be very interested to know which company that was through that's able to do it at that price!
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

http://www.metrofit.co.nz/ I mentioned them in my post but here's the link, They are a nationwide chain but they use local Glaziers as agents so the actual fitting was done by Huntly joinery in my case. They make a double glazed Glass unit to fit your aluminium joinery and replace the bevelled bead with a flat one. They can do wooded frames too but I have no Idea about that option. I'd ask them for a quote along with one or two other firms if it was me. I chose them at the time for what seemed like the best bang for buck.

They tell you up front it's not quite as good as purpose build double glazing with aluminium joinery because the frame itself being aluminium is a good heat conductor and you lose heat that way. It's still vastly superior to single glazing though and much better than the stick on options IMHO. My end rooms used to get so much condensation the whole window and even the walls and ceiling would sometimes be dripping wet, now on a very cold morning I might get an inch or two of slight condensation at the bottom of the glass only. The house is noticeably easier to heat/cool and a little quieter as well. I even had my rear door done which surprises people but it occurred to me it is a door sized hole in the insulation as you don't tend to put a curtain on your back door.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070