Default windows 8.1 wallpaper won't disappear

Have just replaced my desktop and it's got 8.1 installed. I can't get the wallpaper to disappear and the programs to run. It boots up to wallpaper and taskbar. clicking on any of the programs shown on the taskbar will open the program but the wallpaper still occupies the screen. Hovering the mouse over the icons on the taskbar shows the miniatures of the screens opened but there is no way to open them on screen. PC Settings on the right hand column can be accessed but selecting Control Panel puts it down to an icon on the taskbar which can't be accessed. As far as I am aware no password has been set for this machine and on bootup it doesn't ask for one.

Computer Tech

Default Re: windows 8.1 wallpaper won't disappear

How is the monitor connected to the computer?
    You haven't got both the VGA (blue connector) and DVI (white connector) cables connected by any chance have you?
    It sounds like the monitor is showing the 2nd desktop and everything would be showing on the main desktop which you can't see.
    Shut down the computer and remove the VGA cable and just leave the DVI cable connected to the monitor from the computer.

That sounds like a possibility. However the screen only has a VGA and 2 HDMI connections. I'm using VGA to VGA. The computer has a DVI port but the DVI plug I have (DVI to VGA) has 4 pins : : above and below the --- solid horizontal pin. the DVI port does not have holes for those pins so i cannot connect up the second screen.

Computer Tech

Quote Originally Posted by bugalugs67 View Post
    That sounds like a possibility. However the screen only has a VGA and 2 HDMI connections. I'm using VGA to VGA. The computer has a DVI port but the DVI plug I have (DVI to VGA) has 4 pins : : above and below the --- solid horizontal pin. the DVI port does not have holes for those pins so i cannot connect up the second screen.
    If you have a 2nd screen to connect you could get a DVI-HDMI cable.
    The DVI port on the computer is digital only so can't be converted to VGA with only a cable, that's why the 4 pins are not there.

The second screen is hardwired VGA only so I guess it's off the Tricky Dicky to get a Digital DVI to HDMI cable. The new machine has an HDMI outlet but I want that one to go to TV.

Thanks for pointing me to the right area.
    The problem turned out to be that the HDMI was already connected to the TV and therefore the TV was being automatically selected as the Primary screen.

If you hover over a program in the task bar, then move onto the small thumbnail that appears and right click you can choose move (or if it's not an option choose restore then repeat) then use the arrow buttons to move a window you can't see. That way you can drag active programs onto the visible screen. Can take a bit of trial and error to figure out left or right but it does work. I learnt how to do this from running dual screens and occasionally disconnecting one only to find windows still thinks it's there and is the primary.
    Very handy when you can't see the active screen for some reason.

The trick would have been to open display properties and change the primary monitor, using the above trick if it opens on the wrong screen Of course it's easier just to unplug one of the monitors some times.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070