Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: iPad Mini 2 vs Surface 2 vs Nexus 7 2013

My view is the app support makes the product. The Surface 2 has suffered the whole chicken and egg thing and hasn't come out on top. It's the same reason I wouldn't consider a Windows Phone. It may well be a fantastic OS, but with limited app support I wouldn't bother. I know you've listed your intended uses but who is to say in a year or so you don't want an app/product that's only available on iOS/Android coz let's face it, at the moment those 2 are always going to get support first.

And yeah that G Watch was a crazy deal, if I had seen it sooner/it was compatible with iOS I would have jumped on one. Best looking smart watch on the market IMO.

Old guy

A Bluetooth keyboard works really well with a Nexus 7 or Nexus 9. I have a Logitech K 480 which I use if I wish to do more than a little input on either of my tablets.

I have a N7 2013. Still going pretty fast - got 2 accounts on it, quite a few apps, and haven't done a factory reset since owning it -- since august 2013.

I use it mainly for youtube/movies/web browsing. The screen is a bit small for me when web browsing but youtube is good due to the apsect ratio. And you don't wanna be editing documents on a touchscreen - get a bluetooth keyboard. Super easy to carry it around, quite well built also, dropped it a few times without case and no damage.

Office is out for android now: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ice.word&hl=en so formatting shouldn't stuff up when viewing on a tablet.

I reckon if you don't mind the smallish screen, then go for it.
    My Tech:

i5 4670, 8GB RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HDD, AOC 1080p monitor, K280 case
    Nexus 7 II (2013)
    Nexus 4

Hmm. I think between the Nexus 7 and the iPad, the iPad is better for me. The larger screen and the aspect ration suits more, and apps/speed etc are fine on both. So it's down to iPad vs Surface 2!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick G View Post
    Hmm. I think between the Nexus 7 and the iPad, the iPad is better for me. The larger screen and the aspect ration suits more, and apps/speed etc are fine on both. So it's down to iPad vs Surface 2!
    I'd go with the iPad then just coz the Surface runs windows RT which has pretty crap support from app developers. Unless you can find an Nvidia Shield Tablet for a sweet price!
    My Tech:

i5 4670, 8GB RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HDD, AOC 1080p monitor, K280 case
    Nexus 7 II (2013)
    Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by sahilcc7 View Post
    I'd go with the iPad then just coz the Surface runs windows RT which has pretty crap support from app developers. Unless you can find an Nvidia Shield Tablet for a sweet price!
    Yea, the third party app support isn't great! I'm trawling the store looking to see what there is in way of third party apps. Otherwise looks like it'll be iPad time!

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by Nick G View Post
    Have a look at the Nexus 9 as well Nick. Bigger screen and runs at least as good as the Nexus 7. PB Tech have them on special this month.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    Nexus 7 for sure.

If you're doing more than just basic editing of docs / spreadsheets, you won't wanna do it on a tablet, you can't beat a real keyboard for the more intense stuff, that goes for all the devices.

For everything else, the N7 is *fantastic* in terms of video watching etc
    Get yourself a Chromecast to compliment it too, so you can use it with your Telly. It's well worth it!
    ^ This

It is getting a bit long in the tooth technology-wise these days, but I use my N7 (2013/LTE) daily for many things. Spreadsheets and Word docs can be edited on the N7, but it's a bit tedious and clumsy - would rather do this on my laptop.

The N7 is awesome for email, Facetwit, browsing, watching movies, chromecasting, games etc. Added to which it's a great slim form-factor, easy to hold, has a great battery life and can fit in the back pocket of your jeans when your walking around. You can't do that with a Surface or an iPad Mini!

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

Quote Originally Posted by johcar View Post
    ^ This It is getting a bit long in the tooth technology-wise these days, but I use my N7 (2013/LTE) daily for many things. Spreadsheets and Word docs can be edited on the N7, but it's a bit tedious and clumsy - would rather do this on my laptop.The N7 is awesome for email, Facetwit, browsing, watching movies, chromecasting, games etc. Added to which it's a great slim form-factor, easy to hold, has a great battery life and can fit in the back pocket of your jeans when your walking around. You can't do that with a Surface or an iPad Mini!
    What part can't you do with the iPad mini
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

Quote Originally Posted by plod View Post
    What part can't you do with the iPad mini
    Stick it in the back pocket of your Levis

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)