Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Default iPad Mini 2 vs Surface 2 vs Nexus 7 2013

I know comparing these tablets sounds crazy but bear with me!

I've got the budget for any one of these tablets (can pick up the Surface 2 for far less than the RRP now).

What I'd ideally like to use my tablet for are:
    Web browsing
    Viewing photos
    Watching youtube + movies
    Viewing and editing office documents
    Basic communication, so G+, Facebook, Email

Games are less important to me, but are a nice to have. I use Chrome as my main browser, so a nice to have on the tablet, but as long at the web experience is good, using Safari or IE isn't a biggie.

As I see it, the strengths and weaknesses of each tablet in terms of what I want are:

Nexus 7
    Good for viewing media, social communication, competent for web browsing (great browser but screen the smallest of them all)
    Poorer for viewing office docs, editing would be very basic.

iPad mini 2
    Good - apps for just about everything (Not sure how good the office experience is here, can anyone confirm how good the MS Office apps are on the smaller screened iPad?), I have a decent library of paid games on iTunes.
    Not too sure what weaknesses the iPad mini has, although it's potentially more locked down that I'd like. Anyone who owns one able to comment on weaknesses?

Surface 2
    Good - the Office experience (I'd get the type cover), kickstand, the most extendable - USB, Type cover, micro SD, Micro HDMI) - IE seems decent and flash enabled (Anyone able to confirm how good the web browsing experience is?) I've also heard it has an amazing ability to hold onto a Wifi signal, which is a nice bonus. Also the ability to run splitscreen apps is great.
    Bad - fewer apps, not too sure how the likes of G+ display in IE, no more real support, bulkiest of them all (trade off with the bigger screen I know, but more a trade off with the extra ports). Forget about games and small time wasting apps.

For owners of these tablets/people who know plenty about them - how accurate are my thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of each one? What do you really love about it, what do you wish was different? Which one would you recommend, and why?
    Last edited by Nick G; 11-02-2015 at 09:49 PM.

Default Re: iPad Mini 2 vs Surface 2 vs Nexus 7 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Nick G View Post
    I know comparing these tablets sounds crazy but bear with me!

I've got the budget for any one of these tablets (can pick up the Surface 2 for far less than the RRP now).

What I'd ideally like to use my tablet for are:
    Web browsing
    Viewing photos
    Watching youtube + movies
    Viewing and editing office documents
    Basic communication, so G+, Facebook, Email

Games are less important to me, but are a nice to have. I use Chrome as my main browser, so a nice to have on the tablet, but as long at the web experience is good, using Safari or IE isn't a biggie.

As I see it, the strengths and weaknesses of each tablet in terms of what I want are:

Nexus 7
    Good for viewing media, social communication, competent for web browsing (great browser but screen the smallest of them all)
    Poorer for viewing office docs, editing would be very basic.

iPad mini 2
    Good - apps for just about everything (Not sure how good the office experience is here, can anyone confirm how good the MS Office apps are on the smaller screened iPad?), I have a decent library of paid games on iTunes.
    Not too sure what weaknesses the iPad mini has, although it's potentially more locked down that I'd like. Anyone who owns one able to comment on weaknesses?

Surface 2
    Good - the Office experience (I'd get the type cover), kickstand, the most extendable - USB, Type cover, micro SD, Micro HDMI) - IE seems decent and flash enabled (Anyone able to confirm how good the web browsing experience is?) I've also heard it has an amazing ability to hold onto a Wifi signal, which is a nice bonus. Also the ability to run splitscreen apps is great.
    Bad - fewer apps, not too sure how the likes of G+ display in IE, no more real support, bulkiest of them all (trade off with the bigger screen I know, but more a trade off with the extra ports). Forget about games and small time wasting apps.

For owners of these tablets/people who know plenty about them - how accurate are my thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of each one? What do you really love about it, what do you wish was different? Which one would you recommend, and why?
    Microsoft did recently come out with office for iPad which would be ideal for editing stuff on one but other than that, pick the one that appeals to you the most
    Working on a few different projects.

Pretends to know things

The aspect ratio on the ipad mini is awesome for browsing websites and reading documents etc. Worth noting that movies will have black bars as it's not 16:9 though.

As for the surface, the kickstand is kinda meh it's no more useful than any of those cases which have essentially the same thing built in. The Surface running RT suffers from the same problem as Windows Mobile, nothing is being developed for it. I do think the Surface Pro is an awesome device though (it does come at a way higher price point though).

Quote Originally Posted by Webdevguy View Post
    Microsoft did recently come out with office for iPad which would be ideal for editing stuff on one but other than that, pick the one that appeals to you the most
    Yes, but the Office on Surface 2 is certainly more featured. Less touch friendly, but more featured.

Do you own an iPad Mini 2 or 3? How does Office work on the smaller screened iPad? What areas could the iPad improve on?

Quote Originally Posted by icow View Post
    The aspect ratio on the ipad mini is awesome for browsing websites and reading documents etc. Worth noting that movies will have black bars as it's not 16:9 though.

As for the surface, the kickstand is kinda meh it's no more useful than any of those cases which have essentially the same thing built in. The Surface running RT suffers from the same problem as Windows Mobile, nothing is being developed for it. I do think the Surface Pro is an awesome device though (it does come at a way higher price point though).
    Yes, the 4:3 aspect ratio does definitely appeal.

I imagine I'd use the kickstand more than most, as I would use the tablet on the table to watch videos with. Obviously I could get a case, but having it built in is still a plus.

The apps are definitely the main downside! IE looks decent enough though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick G View Post
    Yes, but the Office on Surface 2 is certainly more featured. Less touch friendly, but more featured.

Do you own an iPad Mini 2 or 3? How does Office work on the smaller screened iPad? What areas could the iPad improve on?
    My fiance owns the iPad mini and I have the iPad 2. Neither of us do any document editing on either iPad although she does all her online shopping ( clothes, groceries, booking holidays) on her iPad mini with no problems at all.

What could Apple improve on with the next iPad..?

I'm pretty sure they will make it thinner, longer battery life although 10 hours is nothing to be sneezed at.

MS could probably get its **** together and put out regular updates and improvements to MS Office for iPad - like other developers do for their apps.

I'm happy with the current version as it stands so won't be upgrading any time soon.
    Working on a few different projects.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Nexus 7 for sure.

If you're doing more than just basic editing of docs / spreadsheets, you won't wanna do it on a tablet, you can't beat a real keyboard for the more intense stuff, that goes for all the devices.

For everything else, the N7 is *fantastic* in terms of video watching etc
    Get yourself a Chromecast to compliment it too, so you can use it with your Telly. It's well worth it!
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Depending how portable you need to be buying in to the tablet fad just gets you less features for more money over a laptop, just saying. For any real editing you want a proper keyboard.
    I have a 2012 Nexus 7 and an older laptop, the tablet has become my bedside alarm clock and occasional travelling companion for showing people photos. It also becomes an e-reader when the kindle has a flat battery. For eveything else I use the laptop - it's just better. It plays everything, and if not there's always a player or codec somewhere, it has a real keyboard, it stands up by itself, it has much more storage space, better speakers, you get the picture.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

FYI Warehouse Stationery have 13% off iPad today only. I had heard people were not having a great experience with Android 5 on Nexus 4. Maybe it was just the 2012 version. The iPad Mini 2 is identical to the iPad Mini 3 except for touch ID. So you should get 2-3 years of updates for it still. Not sure the same could be said of the Nexus. Surface 2 IMO is not even worth considering. Surface 2 Pro is though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex B View Post
    FYI Warehouse Stationery have 13% off iPad today only. I had heard people were not having a great experience with Android 5 on Nexus 4. Maybe it was just the 2012 version. The iPad Mini 2 is identical to the iPad Mini 3 except for touch ID. So you should get 2-3 years of updates for it still. Not sure the same could be said of the Nexus. Surface 2 IMO is not even worth considering. Surface 2 Pro is though.
    Off topic, but did you see their crazy as deal on the G Watch R? Lucky 100 people who grabbed one!

Pretty sure the problem on the Nexus 7 were mainly the 2012 version, hardware starting to show its age.

Why would you say the Surface 2 isn't even worth considering? I know the app support is pretty terrible, but it still has some attractive points.

The iPad is definitely tempting, loads of apps, good screen, and a nicer size for me than the Nexus.