Default Can I redirect an icon?

I have just installed a 1 TB HDD, because my C drive was getting full.

I have moved a lot of big files to the new drive and want icons to point to them: however the usual method of right clicking the file, or folder, choosing Properties and change icon isn't working.

The appropriate icons aren't available where I want them, but appear in inappropriate circumstances. For instance, the icons for the Downloads Folder and the Music Folder are available when I click on the icon for the Thumb Drive, but not when I try to change the relevant icons.

So is it possible to redirect the now dysfunctional icons on my desktop, that I have used for years?

Default Re: Can I redirect an icon?

What OS? You can right click the my music, my pictures, etc folders and change the location from somewhere in the properties menu to wherever you want them to be and windows will move the files as well if you haven't already. For any desktop shortcuts you either need to create a new one or change the properties of the existing one to point to the new location. Easiest way for a shortcut is just to delete it, navigate to the new location, right click - send to - desktop create shortcut.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Oops I forgot to say Win7. It was nearly midnight.

I want to redirect icons because it is impossible to change them from copies of the folder to something that looks appropriate to the content.

I just tried again to redirect an icon. The Folder is D:\My Music. setting the target to that doesn't work but D:\Music does! Strange

The Change icon dialog (Properties change icon, or Customize change icon) is defective. is there any other way of changing a file-or folders icon?

In Windows 7, simply cut and paste. The OS is smart enough to figure the rest out

Simply cutting / Paste is a damn dangerous way -- there are links in the registry, networking, program usage/links (Esp if using homegroup) that need to be altered.

Here's the Correct way - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-location.html
    Last edited by wainuitech; 12-02-2015 at 01:27 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.