Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gmail vs Outlook.com + how to manage email

Had to try and find something from ages back in my email today, long story short found it but realised my email system is a complicated unorganized mess, currently split over gmail + inbox and outlook.com

Inbox is nice, but not able to work well for me yet - slightly too simplistic.

So I'm looking at picking either Outlook.com or Gmail, then auto forwarding all mail to that account.

Which service would you recommend, and why? (Basically looking for opinions on pros and cons for each). How good the experience is on different platforms does matter to me, because I hate being tied to a platform.

Also - how is a good way of storing and organizing email? Tips/tricks?

Pretends to know things

Default Re: Gmail vs Outlook.com + how to manage email

Why not just use a desktop application that can handle multiple accounts?

I'd rather stick with webmail, because I want my setup to be consistent across devices.

Use Gmail for sure - you can set it up in Mail clients in IMAP - I use in on 3x PCs with Outlook 2013 and two android devices - works a charm.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Quote Originally Posted by wratterus View Post
    Use Gmail for sure - you can set it up in Mail clients in IMAP - I use in on 3x PCs with Outlook 2013 and two android devices - works a charm.
    Why would you recommend gmail over Outlook.com?

Easier interface, more storage, more customization, more reliable, easier to setup with mobile devices/mail clients, less advertising on the site....need any more reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by wratterus View Post
    Easier interface, more storage, more customization, more reliable, easier to setup with mobile devices/mail clients, less advertising on the site....need any more reasons?
    Some of that actually I don't agree with..

more Storage -- outlook.com advertises unlimited where as Gmail =15 GB

Setting up email accounts on devices, computers with outlook.com -- Enter in your email address and password, it does the rest automatically.

outlook.com also merges with One Drive automatically, so any large attachments can be sent to one drive as required.

Interface -- Questionable - Depends on what a person likes.Some like a lot of options visible some dont.

Calender sync still works with Outlook.com, GMail dumped the free one a while back and caused all sorts of problems.

The advertising on the right in outlook can be a pain, the only way to get rid of it is to get a paid version, but its not really a bother or interfering with email functions, Gmail has a advertising bar along the top of your mail box, again not really a bother.

Biggest gripe I have with google/Gmail is when ever the internet is turned on in the phone ( not 3/4G) but wireless, google bombards it with all sorts of crap and updates, even though its all been set to off.

Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Computer Tech

My preference would be Outlook.com over gmail as i find the activsync works much better than IMAP, especially if you want to use Outlook.

Looks like I probably need to give Outlook.com another go....has been a few years.

The new outlook.com is quite different compared to the old hotmail/Live mail. Its more inline with Office 2013 these days. More simple layout which is one good thing for tablets. But all the functions are thee still if needed.

As for Also - "how is a good way of storing and organizing email? Tips/tricks? "

One way to keep things tidy is to create separate folders for mails that you get all the time, then create rules so when the mail comes in it will automatically be shifted to the dedicated folder. In outlook.com, you would right click the mail concerned / Create Rule / Select the options you want from the provided drop down boxes, and away it goes. You can also Archive mails if wanted.

Don't know if gmail can do the same, gave up on that even though I've got an active account as they kept changing things to often
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.