Page 308 of 316 FirstFirst ... 301302303304305306307308309310311312313314315 ... LastLast
Results 3,071 to 3,080 of 3159

Default Re: Windows 11 Latest Tech Preview

Pulled out an old MacBook Pro to help someone on Geekzone grab the Bootcamp Drivers last night and decided what the hell, this thing is about 5 years behind the supported CPU list for Win 10 (i7-3635QM, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, GT650 1GB GPU) so I chucked on the dev version on to test.

As expected it runs Win 11 perfectly fine, I would even say more than above adequate. All default apps fly as fast as they did on Win 10 bootcamp. Bootcamp control panel even works. I fear the masses of e-waste that are incoming

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	11010

Now that I've got Win 11 working on my ancient machine I've decided to use this build 22000.71 as my daily driver. Have installed the apps that I would normally use on a daily basis and most seem to work. DU Meter is the only one that doesn't work properly but I found a way around it in the meantime until a Win 11 version comes out.

Comments. Don't really liket he new task bar that only shows a blue dot at the bottom when and app is open . Really not nice using Outlook with a couple of emails open. The only other thing I notice is that when I boot it up Virus and Threat Protection does not start. I have to manually start it. I'm not going to install NOD 32 on it just yet..

Have setup the Windows 11 DEV Insider program that gives me a warning that my computer doesn't meet the minimum standards and that I will get preview build until Windows 11 released. We will see. I boot back to Win 10 every week to do image backups and let stuff sync to Google drive.

I work on the theory that this is only a temporary install and could be killed off at any time.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Got images as well from previous W10 (insider) before W11 was let lose.

I work on the theory that this is only a temporary install and could be killed off at any time.
    Wouldn't be the 1st time a Insider build undergoes a big change just before being released.

The biggest changes will be how strict they are with components, who knows if there's enough out cry they may loosen the TPM requirements. If they don't allow upgrades on perfectly good hardware there WILL be a big "FU" from the public and W11 will be another Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post

Wouldn't be the 1st time a Insider build undergoes a big change just before being released.

The biggest changes will be how strict they are with components, who knows if there's enough out cry they may loosen the TPM requirements. If they don't allow upgrades on perfectly good hardware there WILL be a big "FU" from the public and W11 will be another Vista.
    Honestly I'm kinda ok with 10 being another XP

Yep have got Win 10 image backup stored away.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Was the estimated update time in the last release of Windows 10 or is it something new?

When I get the new update please restart icon in my task bar and right click it, it now has an estimated time for how long the update will take to install. Very handy honestly, sometimes updates have taken a lot longer to install than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by baabits View Post
    Was the estimated update time in the last release of Windows 10 or is it something new?

When I get the new update please restart icon in my task bar and right click it, it now has an estimated time for how long the update will take to install. Very handy honestly, sometimes updates have taken a lot longer to install than I expected.
    I've never seen it before now.
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Microsoft have just put out the latest Tech Preview for general download - 9926.

This first comment is for Gary67 (Sorry Mate but you were the first one I thought of) -- if MS stick to form - you'll sh1t bricks And stay with W7 -- Dont like the Kindy Icons,? They are also bunched together in different categories.

Heres the New Default Start Menu:
    Attachment 6164

Under all Apps ( down the bottom), when you click on it they are all listed 0-9 A-Z just like Windows 8.1 Start Screen. So all the kindy Tiles are mixed in with what ever programs are installed. OK they can be changed on the start menu, but the majority of general users wont know how or bother.
    Right clicking the start button still brings up the W8.1 style.

1st impressions so Far out of 1-10 with 10 being great -- 2

At least 75% of the network computers can no longer be accessed, when as before they were fine. Apart from 1 XP Machine, the only ones that can be accessed are Servers, any W7 or 8.1

The PC is SLOWER, takes longer for things to load.
    At least 50% of the programs Ive installed, crash or lock up when opened, nothing fancy, just media players etc
    The icons have changed again,this is only cosmetic, but thats minor.

Cortana Doesnt work yet - Not available in your reign

Need to look at the other new options ( if they work) still.

Just as well its only still in development - If it were final - even Free they can keep it - Id stay with 8.1
    That is not a Windows 11 start menu! The current one resembles a cross Chromebook, and Linux, icons not tiles,and curves.

Hey wai, it might a good idea to ask Jen or someone to add an explainer to the top of the first post- people are clearly missing that it says Windows 10 Latest Tech preview at the top of that post, and the 9926 build number, as well as where you talk about 8.1. How I'm not sure. lol.

Edit: As well as the date that says 2015
    Last edited by baabits; 19-07-2021 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mzee View Post
    That is not a Windows 11 start menu! The current one resembles a cross Chromebook, and Linux, icons not tiles,and curves.
    How many more of these are we going to get from people who haven't realized that the Windows 10 thread has morphed into Windows 11? (sigh)
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.