Page 286 of 288 FirstFirst ... 279280281282283284285286287288 LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,860 of 2876

Default Re: Windows 10 --- Latest Tech Preview

This version went right in no problems apart from I forgot I had set it going and couldn't tell how long it took

Resetting -- Was the original Install from a insider build to start with or General release then changed to insider ?

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    This version went right in no problems apart from I forgot I had set it going and couldn't tell how long it took

Resetting -- Was the original Install from a insider build to start with or General release then changed to insider ?
    As far as I can remember it was from a general release to an insider.
    In any case it all seems to have turned to custard. I went out at about 1330 and it was just starting the reset. It had done a download and was starting the real work. When I got home at about 1545 I see a black screen with windows logo and "Please wait". No spinning dots, no apparent disk activity, nuttin'.

This is on the machine that is multibooting with my main system, so I'm going to have to intervene sometime soon. I guess if I just pull the plug now I'll have a munted installation. How would I recover from that? This post is being done on my laptop.
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

I took my courage in both hands and rebooted. It started the insider build OK and there was a message saying "there was a problem resetting your PC - no changes were made. So the good news is I don't have a totally munted system, the bad news is I'm no further forward. So What do I do now? I could try the reset again, but I'm not confident it would be any different.

Old guy

20241 is downloading.

Happening here on the old machine. I'm not even going to try on the one that has been having problems.
    It is all very weird and frustrating. It will not install whatever I try. This is a multiboot install that is only used for the insider previews, so I:
    Did a reset - made no difference.
    Reinstalled Widows - made no difference.That made me think it must be something outside the Windows environment. I don't think it is hardware, as the other system works fine. This made me think that maybe it was something to do with the bootloader, so I had a play around with EasyBCD. Doing that I managed to make the system unbootable, which caused a bit of panic, until I changed the boot order to have "Windows Boot Loader" first. So now it boots in EFI mode, which EasyBCD grizzles about, but at least I have a bootable machine. Still hasn't made any difference to being able to update though.
    I think I would like to go back to MBR, but I don't know how to do it.

On the plus side, I have downloaded and installed 20H2 on my main machine. Went very fast and smooth.

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    20241 is downloading.
    All done and dusted. Once again no problems.

My old machine is still going - 74% initial install.

Older by the minute

Hi Tony. Is it possible that the machine specs are finally too old for the win 10 upgrades that are offered now?

Look here to change to MBR https://www.easeus.com/partition-mas...-mbr-disk.html
    Last edited by Bryan; 22-10-2020 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Hi Tony. Is it possible that the machine specs are finally too old for the win 10 upgrades that are offered now?

Look here to change to MBR https://www.easeus.com/partition-mas...-mbr-disk.html
    I think that is extremely unlikely given that:
    • The other install that is multi-booted is fine and has just upgraded itself to 20H2
    • My other much older and slower machine still installs everythng OK, just at a snails pace. Now at 7% "working on updates".

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out when I have a bit more time.

I think I've given up on insider builds on my main machine.
    I cannot get an update to the latest build to install.

• I did a clean install to the insider partition - made no difference. Which made me think it was something else in the environment that was messiing things up,
    • So I fiddled with the bootloader and changed everything to MBR instead of some MBR and some EFI. I made the system unbootable for a while, but when it came right nothing had changed.
    • So I did another clean install on a different physical disk, and the only result there was that everything slowed to a crawl because it was an old Seagate Barracuda rather than a Samsung SSD. Still couldn't get a new build to work.

Life is too short to be messing around like this, so I'll stick with putting the insider builds on my old slow machine, and leave them off here.

Unless anyone has a brainwave?