Page 290 of 293 FirstFirst ... 283284285286287288289290291292293 LastLast
Results 2,891 to 2,900 of 2925
    Old guy

Default Re: Windows 10 --- Latest Tech Preview

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    212296 is downloading here now.
    All in up and running without problems so far.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    212296 is downloading here now.
    Installing 48% here. Will it keep up this amazing speed? Check back for updates!
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Well, that was interesting.
    It was going really well - see previous post - then at some point in the second stage I got a green screen failure. When it rebooted, the first time it tried to do it again and failed again. The second time it undid all the changes and quit.
    I cleaned everything up and tried again, and when I got back from doing the shopping it was all done and dusted. So a bit fraught, but even with the failures still hugely faster than the previous build, which took literally all day.

Mine updated 1st time. This was a fresh install a couple of builds back as the original which had upgraded many times, the drive was playing up. This one went in clean, but cant say how long it took, as I set it going came back a couple of hours later had to click install, then it was later in the day I remembered it was going All done and dusted.

Did read somewhere that they were trying various methods to do upgrades, of course being testing software you can expect that.

First cab off the rank for a change - 21301 downloading now.

Old guy

21301 is all in up and running here. One of the quickest update builds to install I have seen so far less than an hour from starting the download to fully installed.

After 90mins I'm at "installing 8%" - before the restart

Come lunchtime it was all done and dusted. I don't know what time it actually finished.

Granted that I am biased due to being a diehard Linux user, but IMO Windows 10 is crap.
    My experience with it has been clients computers, but I find it has so much bloat and duplication that it seems like MS just slapped a new OS on top of Win7 and decided that yep, we are good to go.
    I think that how Win 10 could improve is by having one control panel, not the two it currently has (Control Panel and Settings). Makes it way too confusing, especially for newer or older users. It also needs to be less invasive by default, not everything the user does needs to be reported back to MS. Let the user decide if MS is told, not the other way around. I like the idea that it has been updated to work on touch screens a la smart phone interface. I just think that MS could have spent a little more time getting it right instead of rushing out a slightly better hash of Win8

Just my 2cents
    (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
    (alec_eso): 1, morganj

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Granted that I am biased due to being a diehard Linux user, but IMO Windows 10 is crap.
    My experience with it has been clients computers, but I find it has so much bloat and duplication that it seems like MS just slapped a new OS on top of Win7 and decided that yep, we are good to go.
    I think that how Win 10 could improve is by having one control panel, not the two it currently has (Control Panel and Settings). Makes it way too confusing, especially for newer or older users. It also needs to be less invasive by default, not everything the user does needs to be reported back to MS. Let the user decide if MS is told, not the other way around. I like the idea that it has been updated to work on touch screens a la smart phone interface. I just think that MS could have spent a little more time getting it right instead of rushing out a slightly better hash of Win8

Just my 2cents
    Win 10 launched in July 2015 and has been continually updated since then (just like Linux), so it can hardly be said to have been "rushed out".
    Microsoft has a huge community of people who are testing and giving feedback about new developments. I suspect Linux is the same.
    It certainly has some things that can be awkward and hard to use (as does Linux - I'm looking at you, install processes).
    Linux has more flavours than you can shake a stick at. At least the various versions of Win10 all look like each other and broadly behave the same (unlike Linux).
    I once started what turned into a multi-page thread with the title "Why I still don't like Linux", so don't get me started. See here.
    Linux is a good OS. Win 10 is a good OS. Linux is best for some applications and people, Windows suits other people better.

Incidentally this thread is specifically for people who are interested in the pre-release versions, so it is not really appropriate for you to be sounding off here. If you want to express a general opinion about Windows 10, start another thread.
    Last edited by Tony; 08-02-2021 at 05:23 PM.