Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New laptop - browsers hang and/or time out on a lot of web pages

Brand new laptop. HP Pavillion with Win 8.1.

Have tried numerous different wifi networks, my old laptop has never had this problem on the same connection.

About 1 in 3 web pages will either hang for a long amount of time, then either timeout or just completing stop loading. Refreshing normally displays the page instantly. Downloads/gaming don't seem to be affected.

Initially I thought it may have been Kaspersky, but having uninstalled that and instead using Avast I'm still getting the same problem.

Have tried Firefox and IE. Webpages that have trouble loading seem to be random.

Any idea? Something HP specific stopping it? A setting somewhere?

Default Re: New laptop - browsers hang and/or time out on a lot of web pages

I would have suspected Kaspersky as well because it's done those same things to me. Have you tried disabling Avast temporarily to see if it's coincidentally doing the same thing? What else is running, any firewalls or anit-malware tools etc and does this happen if you use an ethernet cable instead of wi-fi?

My work PC is like that on the net as well but that's because of it using australian proxies and corporate firewalls etc. A lot of websites are simply blocked entirely.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    I would have suspected Kaspersky as well because it's done those same things to me. Have you tried disabling Avast temporarily to see if it's coincidentally doing the same thing? What else is running, any firewalls or anit-malware tools etc and does this happen if you use an ethernet cable instead of wi-fi?

My work PC is like that on the net as well but that's because of it using australian proxies and corporate firewalls etc. A lot of websites are simply blocked entirely.
    Disabled Avast - same problem. Malwarebytes (not actively running however) and Win Firewall are the only other things.

Still searching for an ethernet cable to try. Stuck with wifi atm.

Its not the computer or any browser you have OR Antivirus. We have he same thing here as well, sometimes doesn't matter what Browser, IE, Chrome FF . Sometimes changing DNS setting brings it right for a while, then its back again. PF1, happens A LOT, sometimes in the status bar you see "waiting for google ------", stop the page reload and 50/50 it will load instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Its not the computer or any browser you have OR Antivirus. We have he same thing here as well, sometimes doesn't matter what Browser, IE, Chrome FF . Sometimes changing DNS setting brings it right for a while, then its back again. PF1, happens A LOT, sometimes in the status bar you see "waiting for google ------", stop the page reload and 50/50 it will load instantly.
    I found it did happen on PF1 more often than other sites.

So everyone is having the problem? My other laptop on the same wifi connection never does it.

If its a brand New laptop, you may find its also downloading a truckload of updates which can also slow things down.

Not exactly 100% where the problems are, some computers here have problems others at the same time wont. the W8.1 in the Office PF1 wouldn't load, yet in th e workshop the 8.1 and this W10 did instantly. Just tried it on a W7 as well, PF1 wouldn't load first time, had to refresh twice. Yet yesterday everything was fine.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 06-01-2015 at 09:35 AM.

Ok just reading through some of the other threads on the same issue(sorry should've done a search first)

Should I try manually setting my DNS to Google or to Telecom/Spark? Which is better to use?

Old guy

Go with Google or ODNS

Makes no difference if you use googles DNS, our router is set to use Googles DNS. It was on Telstras/Vodafone, and was even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Makes no difference if you use googles DNS, our router is set to use Googles DNS. It was on Telstras/Vodafone, and was even worse.
    So far so good with Google's DNS. Haven't had any timeouts yet.