Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old guy

Default Qi Wireless chargers. are they any good?

I would be most interested if anyone has any experience with wireless charging. One of our Nexus 7 Tablets has developed a fault with its micro USB connection. I can usually get it to charge by sticking a thin strip of card into the top on the port when inserting the charger, that tightens things up a bit and the charger then works as it should. The Nexus 7 Tablet is working perfectly in all other respects. The charger works perfectly with our other Tablet. I am considering purchasing a wireless charger thereby eliminating the connector problem and producing a cost effective repair. Any comments for or against are most welcome.
    Last edited by CliveM; 19-12-2014 at 03:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Qi Wireless chargers. are they any good?

Unless your Nexus is designed to use inductive coupling, and has that as either original equipment or an optional extra, you would not be able to use that type of charger.

Check your handbook.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by Billy T View Post
    Unless your Nexus is designed to use inductive coupling, and has that as either original equipment or an optional extra, you would not be able to use that type of charger.

Check your handbook.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Thanks Billy. I might be old but I am not stupid . Mind you my wife may have a different take on that.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    I would be most interested if anyone has any experience with wireless charging. One of our Nexus 7 Tablets has developed a fault with its micro USB connection. I can usually get it to charge by sticking a thin strip of card into the top on the port when inserting the charger, that tightens things up a bit and the charger then works as it should. The Nexus 7 Tablet is working perfectly in all other respects. The charger works perfectly with our other Tablet. I am considering purchasing a wireless charger thereby eliminating the connector problem and producing a cost effective repair. Any comments for or against are most welcome.
    Is it the Nexus 7 2013 Edition? That's the one that has Qi Wireless charging. I use wireless charging for my phone and N7 tablet and could not go without now. It's so handy!

I'm using this one here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    My Tech:

i5 4670, 8GB RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HDD, AOC 1080p monitor, K280 case
    Nexus 7 II (2013)
    Nexus 4

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by sahilcc7 View Post
    Is it the Nexus 7 2013 Edition? That's the one that has Qi Wireless charging. I use wireless charging for my phone and N7 tablet and could not go without now. It's so handy!

Thanks for that. Yes I do have the 2013 edition. It looks like it may be the way to go as it would be cheaper than repairs at the Asus agent and the tablet is to good to ditch before there is something significantly better on the market. We upgraded to lollypop OTA about a week ago and I really like it.

I use one for my note 3 and it works really well

Quote Originally Posted by sahilcc7 View Post

Ditto - Nexus 7 2013 + Nexus 4.

I have two wireless chargers - one like the one linked to here and another square one (both Nexus-branded). Both are excellent and save much wear and tear on the USB port...

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

Old guy

Thanks much for the comments Dugi & Johcar and all. I have ordered a Nexus branded one from the States but I guess I will not see it for 2 or 3 weeks considering the time of year.

I have the older model Nexus 7, I bought a dock for it from amazon that uses the gold contacts on the side for charging. A little pricey but convenient. I wasn't using it very much so now it is an expensive bedside alarm clock whenever it's not doing something else.
    Works very well, except there's no way to make it wake to the rock radio station.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Those wireless chargers seem like a bit of a scam. I put one against my old Gulbransen portable wireless, after a week it had not charged even a little bit

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gulbransen Portable Wireless.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	6096
    Last edited by R2x1; 21-12-2014 at 09:30 AM.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.