Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question What is a Google verification code???

Hi Team

A few minutes ago I checked my cellphone for messages and one was timed at 11:48am today, saying simply:

"Your Google Verification Code is", followed by a six digit number.

What gives? As far as I know there is no connection or link of any description between my cellphone, which is very rarely used, and Google.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!

Old guy

Default Re: What is a Google verification code???

Normaly they only send you that if you are doing something on the net that they require you to prove you are you. It never comes out of the blue.

Initially, I thought maybe someone was trying to access your google account.
    But you said that there is no link between your cell phone and your account, which I assume to mean that you havent registered it with google for secondary verification.

If you haven't linked that phone number to your google account for secondary verification, then maybe someone else has mistyped their cell number when setting up said verification process, and its gone to you by mistake.

I get those texts sometimes after I have used Ccleaner, no doubt because it cleans out cookies, etc.

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it." - Mark Twain

pcsourcepoint

I setup 2 step verification when signing into Gmail. Means you need to have cell phone handy to read and use the text code, at whatever pc you are using. Trying to remove 2 step, can take several attempts, over several days.

It's possible that someone tried to create a new Gmail/Google account with a user name the same as yours, and hence you received the code. If so, this might mean your user name is sort of relatively "common" (not saying you would have one) or an attempt by someone that knows your user name? I mean when I have helped create Gmail accounts for others, it' can take several attempts to find a unique username for simple/common names, unless if you use a long mashup of alpha numeric characters.

if it occurs again, may need to change password. Google made me do so once.
    Last edited by kahawai chaser; 18-12-2014 at 07:28 PM.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

Quote Originally Posted by Nyuuji View Post
    Initially, I thought maybe someone was trying to access your google account. But you said that there is no link between your cell phone and your account, which I assume to mean that you havent registered it with google for secondary verification. If you haven't linked that phone number to your google account for secondary verification, then maybe someone else has mistyped their cell number when setting up said verification process, and its gone to you by mistake. I get those texts sometimes after I have used Ccleaner, no doubt because it cleans out cookies, etc.
    My phone is completely separate from any other communication system, it is shared with nothing! The only non-phone use is to receive txt netcode numbers from my Bank when I want to pay a large bill online via my computer.

At the same general time as that message, I did have about five calls recorded over a very short period (10-12 minutes) from an unknown person. I tracked the number to a company in Hamilton but it appears to be no more than a shell so I don't see any connection there.

I neglected to mention that when I first turned it on a green message came up early in the boot sequence saying something about loading an alternative Phone OS yes/no etc so I chose No (using Volume up or Volume down as instructed) and it booted through to the normal screen. Nobody has had a chance to load malware on this phone because it is very rarely switched on, I could easily go a month without using it.

Incidentally, the Google verification number to call was 3070.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

pcsourcepoint

If a alternative phone OS was trying to load, it may have tried to get permission to your Google Account, though it would need know your mobile number, which it may have retrieved, since the pending OS is somewhat present on your phone. Mozilla have a mobile OS, so maybe that was somehow triggered to boot, if you are using Firefox Browser, for example.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

Can't re Member

My Google verification code for Gmail comes from 8222
    2 step verification is the way to go

Quote Originally Posted by kahawai chaser View Post
    If a alternative phone OS was trying to load, it may have tried to get permission to your Google Account, though it would need know your mobile number, which it may have retrieved, since the pending OS is somewhat present on your phone. Mozilla have a mobile OS, so maybe that was somehow triggered to boot, if you are using Firefox Browser, for example.
    I use Firefox on my computer, but the Samsung is bog-standard and remains exactly as it came out of the box except for any automatic upgrades that may have taken place, if that is even possible. It is not internet enabled as far as I know, I have no data account, and it has never been linked to my computer. I certainly wouldn't sign up for that kind of option, as I neither need nor want mobile data at any price. The alternate OS was something quite out of the ordinary because it seemed to be attempting to pre-empt the Samsung OS, and a moment's carelessness would have seen it underway and loading whatever OS it had in mind.

Am I right to assume that the means to try it on again sometime could still be sitting on the phone? I presume that it would have to have been downloaded at some point because it came up very early in the boot sequence, or maybe all that was embedded was the message, so choosing Yes would have seen it download and install the alternative OS along with whatever nasties come with it.

It beats me, I'm no expert on Mobile phones, or a power user. All I want or need is just a basic phone for voice or text.

As an after-thought, Billy Jnr is recently back in residence with iPhone, iPad and all the trimmings including wifi, plus what looks to me like a bluetooth unit or similar. Shortly after he arrived back he was online with the iPad but I hadn't provided a connection at that point. I asked him how he was obtaining internet access but he didn't know what I was talking about. He has no concept of data security and I had left my phone on at one stage while it was charging, so is there any possibility that it was captured during its regular login with the nearest cellsite?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Quote Originally Posted by Billy T View Post
    What gives? As far as I know there is no connection or link of any description between my cellphone, which is very rarely used, and Google.
    Someone with a similar number to you made a typo when entering their number?
    wipe your paws.

Quote Originally Posted by Ofthesea View Post
    My Google verification code for Gmail comes from 8222
    2 step verification is the way to go
    But I don't use my phone for anything other than standard voice calls and texts, definitely no email, gmail, data or any other external services. The mystery lingers on...........

Cheers

Billy 8-{)