Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Beginner Gaming PC Help

Thanks for the info on the GTX 680 vs GTX 760, how well does yours perform/how good of a condition is in in/how old is it? Also if i were to purchase it off you how would we do it? Because your offer is very tempting. Just a heads up if i do purchase it off you it will be sometime next year after all the Christmas mess that goes on around that time.

Its never been overclocked.
    It was one of the best "premium" models and hence I paid about $1400 for it.
    I think its about 4 years old (will check that) its always had a regular maintenance cycle and never missed a beat.

I have a bit of interest in it but till someone comes up with the cash its here, could be you, could be someone else.

Now buying it.....

I am a long standing member here and have built up a measure of trust so it is a lot less risky for you to trust me than it is for me to trust you.
    So with that said it would work like this. You send me the cost + freight if you are not local and I will package and send the card to you once the funds are in my possession.

If you are local (Christchurch) you can simply pay cash (although cash is a pain in my ass).

You have a few weeks to think about it.
    The Internet moves in mysterious ways.

Odds are I won't be able to get it in a few weeks, I will most likely be able to get it around February next year since I spent some money on Christmas presents for my family. But if I do buy it off you we could do it via TradeMe if you have an account.

I am not paying trademe fees when I do not have too.

Quite frankly I am doing you a favour offering it at this price (what I consider mates rates) and well I don't really care if you buy it or not
    I am not jumping through any hoops. If you want this you do it my way.

So if you are still interested contact me in Feb when you are ready and I will let you know if it is still available.
    The Internet moves in mysterious ways.

Quote Originally Posted by DeSade View Post
    Its never been overclocked.
    It was one of the best "premium" models and hence I paid about $1400 for it.
    I think its about 4 years old (will check that) its always had a regular maintenance cycle and never missed a beat.

I have a bit of interest in it but till someone comes up with the cash its here, could be you, could be someone else.

Now buying it.....

I am a long standing member here and have built up a measure of trust so it is a lot less risky for you to trust me than it is for me to trust you.
    So with that said it would work like this. You send me the cost + freight if you are not local and I will package and send the card to you once the funds are in my possession.

If you are local (Christchurch) you can simply pay cash (although cash is a pain in my ass).

You have a few weeks to think about it.
    I have been looking at some parts and let me know what you think:

Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Intel Motherboard
    PSU: 750W Corsair CX750M Modular ATX PSU
    CPU: Intel Haswell Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Socket 1150 CPU
    GPU: Gigabyte GV-R928XOC-3GD Overclocked R9 280X 3GB DDR5 PCI-E 3.0 Video Card DVI HDMI 2xDisplayport
    Case: Raidmax Cobra Black Gaming Mid Tower Case (Black) - It looks a bit childish but I like the colour green and the possible positioning of the fans.
    RAM: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Beast 1600MHz DDR3 (unless you can recommend 1600MHZ DDR3 RAM that is better/cheaper than my selected one)

All good choices, nothing wrong with those.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    All good choices, nothing wrong with those.
    Thanks! Do you recommend any changes/is everything going to fit together?

What you do is go to the manufacturers website for the motherboard and search for the support page for that model, then look for a CPU compatibility list and see if the CPU you want is on it and whether a particular BIOS version is required. Like this for example http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H97M/?cat=CPU That motherboard and CPU combination is fine.

You can do the same for memory but unfortunately the manufacturers never test more than a small % of available RAM so that's less reliable. The RAM you picked should be fine but there's no way I can guarantee that.

Otherwise the only comment is now you've gone the other way with the PSU, that one is probably more than you will need. A good 550-650W PSU should be fine.
    For example my machine has an i7 and a GTX 980 an a 550W PSU, did have an r9 290 previously with the same PSU as well. Incidentally I have an i7 just because I wanted it and can afford it, it does not help my games at all over an i5.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Agreed. Save a bit on your PSU. The cheaper RAM will never be a bottleneck so don't stress too much about that either.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

The GPU I am going with requires a minimum of 600W power supply. So should I go for a 600W or a 650W or 700W?