Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cricket!!!

Default Cricket!!!

Big deal! Man gets hit on the head by a cricket ball and dies. Very sad for his family and friends, but millions of people die all the time, so why the media fuss? Not everyone is obsessed with sport.

Any sport carries a certain amount of risk, and its up to the player to accept the risk, or not play.
    Professional soldiers are on a mission to kill, so it's only fair that the enemy get in first.
    Professional Coal miners should know the risks involved, and are primarily responsible for their own safety.

My Father lost a testicle playing cricket.

Default Re: Cricket!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mzee View Post
    Big deal! Man gets hit on the head by a cricket ball and dies. Very sad for his family and friends, but millions of people die all the time, so why the media fuss? Not everyone is obsessed with sport.

Any sport carries a certain amount of risk, and its up to the player to accept the risk, or not play.
    Professional soldiers are on a mission to kill, so it's only fair that the enemy get in first.
    Professional Coal miners should know the risks involved, and are primarily responsible for their own safety.

My Father lost a testicle playing cricket.
    I guess it was called a "no ball" - sorry about that
    The floggings will continue until morale improves.
    No keyboard detected. Press F1 to continue.

Its compassion, empathy .
    Its called News. This was so unexpected , of course its big news.
    News is just whatever gets our attention & makes ratings. Allways has been, allways will be.

So someone grabs a gun & kills (say) 10 kids in a school . Why is that news, why the fuss, millions die every year .

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    So someone grabs a gun & kills (say) 10 kids in a school . Why is that news, why the fuss, millions die every year .
    You're right. Why should that be news? The Americans shoot kids in a school on a regular basis. Nothing newsworthy in that.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Older by the minute

I have not seen any media sympathy for the Israeli cricket umpire who just two days after the Aussie was hit on the jaw by a cricket ball and died.

Quote Originally Posted by mzee View Post
    Big deal! Man gets hit on the head by a cricket ball and dies. Not everyone is obsessed with sport.

No they're not.
    However it wasn't the sport they were on about - it was his death from a stupid accident like that.

Big deal yourself you unsympathetic [edited].
    Last edited by Jen; 05-12-2014 at 05:50 PM. Reason: keep it nice please
    wipe your paws.

Living in Australia for the past few years here, but still frequently read these forums (don't really post much these days) I can shed a tiny bit of light on why its a bit more of a big deal that some other deaths:

A few key points.
    • 100+ years of the game, the first time this has happened.
    • Almost a million people are registered to play cricket right now in Australia. That's one in twenty, excluding however many who have played, since retired or drifted away and are still alive. It's no stretch to say that's at least another couple of hundred thousand. All of these people have a new found sense of their own mortality from somewhere they never predicted.
    • 90%+ of Australians have watched some form of cricket on TV in the last month. Let's say a quarter of those are right in to their cricket. Huge numbers, that have watched someone they admired cut down in their prime.
    • Usually when someone with a high profile snuffs it, there's at least one person that comes out and says well actually, that person was a dickhead. In this case, not one has done so.

Hope that helps
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    Thats a good idea,and everybody should be whipped if they disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    We like to live on the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    I guess it was called a "no ball" - sorry about that
    Not sure if you're joking or not, but it wouldn't have been a no ball, it was a perfectly legitimate delivery.

OP - please grow up and show some empathy.

Yes, people die all the time. But a processional sportsman dying during a game is always going to make news - a sudden, high profile, unexpected death is always going to make the news, because it is news. Also, given how he died, it's also newsworthy for the safety considerations and debates.

Please, show some respect and sympathy

It was a work injury, not a sport injury.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by R2x1 View Post
    It was a work injury, not a sport injury.
    I agree with you. My interpretation of sport is a recreational activity done purely for enjoyment and exercise. Anyone who gets paid for "sport" is at work, not at play, and therefore becomes no more news worthy than I would if I was electrocuted. Several years back I was hit on the head in a work related accident, I was unconscious for 5 days and had surgery twice, almost died but woke up paralysed in all but my right arm. In time most of all came back. I wasn't even in the North Shore Herald