Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    23

    Default Website creation - help required please

    Ive created a webpage using MS Frontpage, nothing in it but a simple table, coloured text, but Im after some help please.

    Firstly, Ive not uploaded it to a website yet, as most no longer support Frontpage extensions, though Im familiar with ftp and figure that once the webpage is uploaded there shouldnt be much maintenance required. Im planning on using Discount Domains as Ive always had good service from them in the past. Recommendations on another webhost accepted

    What I need help with
    The creating of a slideshow, where each slide transitions into the next after say a 10sec display. Four slides, already converted into the same pixel size.

    Secondly, the creation of a Message Box with form server so that once a customer adds their name, contact number and brief message, then clicks on SEND, the details are emailed to my email box.

    I used to be able to do the Form Send when FP was accepted by DD, but that was a few years back. Now I need assistance.

    Im prepared to send the website all zipped up, but and,once I see it working on someone elses server, am prepared to pay a reasonable sum for their skills.

    Anyone out there up to the task please.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Way out West.
    Posts
    1,486

    Default Re: Website creation - help required please

    Quote Originally Posted by jhw View Post
    Ive created a webpage using MS Frontpage, nothing in it but a simple table, coloured text, but Im after some help please.

    Firstly, Ive not uploaded it to a website yet, as most no longer support Frontpage extensions, though Im familiar with ftp and figure that once the webpage is uploaded there shouldnt be much maintenance required. Im planning on using Discount Domains as Ive always had good service from them in the past. Recommendations on another webhost accepted

    What I need help with
    The creating of a slideshow, where each slide transitions into the next after say a 10sec display. Four slides, already converted into the same pixel size.

    Secondly, the creation of a Message Box with form server so that once a customer adds their name, contact number and brief message, then clicks on SEND, the details are emailed to my email box.

    I used to be able to do the Form Send when FP was accepted by DD, but that was a few years back. Now I need assistance.

    Im prepared to send the website all zipped up, but and,once I see it working on someone elses server, am prepared to pay a reasonable sum for their skills.

    Anyone out there up to the task please.
    If you want to create a gallery you would be best to Google jquery image galleria. Also use something better than MS Frontpage.. It's just worthless junk. You would also be better off using divs rather than tables. Tables have a very specific set of uses. Divs are much more versitile.
    One other suggestion, get a pencil and paper and draw a layout of what you want your website to look like so that you know what you are wanting to create.
    Next, go and sign up with either Codeschool or Codecademy (both are free) and learn how to code html and CSS because without then you will get stuck very quickly.
    Working on a few different projects.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Way out West.
    Posts
    1,486

    Default Re: Website creation - help required please

    Quote Originally Posted by jhw View Post
    Ive created a webpage using MS Frontpage, nothing in it but a simple table, coloured text, but Im after some help please.

    Firstly, Ive not uploaded it to a website yet, as most no longer support Frontpage extensions, though Im familiar with ftp and figure that once the webpage is uploaded there shouldnt be much maintenance required. Im planning on using Discount Domains as Ive always had good service from them in the past. Recommendations on another webhost accepted

    What I need help with
    The creating of a slideshow, where each slide transitions into the next after say a 10sec display. Four slides, already converted into the same pixel size.

    Secondly, the creation of a Message Box with form server so that once a customer adds their name, contact number and brief message, then clicks on SEND, the details are emailed to my email box.

    I used to be able to do the Form Send when FP was accepted by DD, but that was a few years back. Now I need assistance.

    Im prepared to send the website all zipped up, but and,once I see it working on someone elses server, am prepared to pay a reasonable sum for their skills.

    Anyone out there up to the task please.
    Also is suggest that you get your website completely finished, validated and tested on your desktop before you upload it to a server. It's much easier to set up a basic folder with all the files you need (html pages, CSS style sheet, images, fonts etc) and work on that rather than fiddling around doing it on a server.

    I do my code editing in Sublime text, but any text editor would be fine.
    Working on a few different projects.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: Website creation - help required please

    Ok... but Ive never had any trouble with FP in tthe past. I know some ppl rubbish it for all its unwanted background info, I figure there purists who need to get a life. Just checked it out on Google, looks just fine.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Way out West.
    Posts
    1,486

    Default Re: Website creation - help required please

    Quote Originally Posted by jhw View Post
    Ok... but Ive never had any trouble with FP in tthe past. I know some ppl rubbish it for all its unwanted background info, I figure there purists who need to get a life. Just checked it out on Google, looks just fine.
    Trust me, Front page is ****. The underlying code is messy and bloated. I don't need to get a life, just like clean unbloated code on websites rather than the crap that FP uses.

    Also, what are you wanting to use the site to promote?
    Last edited by Webdevguy; 30-11-2014 at 03:33 PM.
    Working on a few different projects.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: Website creation - help required please

    An electrical busineess, and property maintenance - just promo really.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Way out West.
    Posts
    1,486

    Default Re: Website creation - help required please

    Ok, so draw a layout of what you want the site to look like. Also do some research on other electricians sites to see what they look like then do your layout

  8. #8
    pcsourcepoint
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Otara, Auckland
    Posts
    3,064

    Default Re: Website creation - help required please

    Yeah - I started with front page. Ok for simple editing (like MS word), but had to change hosts because of a lack of extension support. Also the code to make tables was difficult to work worth. Chunky. Agree with webdevguy, best to learn creating divs, and the table codes. Or do it online - you can create a html table online and then copy and paste the codes in your page.

    I use to make a galley online (can't recall were abouts) and link to it. But now copy html codes/scripts from a tutorial site and then apply to my site or blog.

    But if a simple site and if you want it up quick maybe one of them free web editors, e.g Google Sites, Wordpress, Wix, Weebly, etc to start with.

    Webdev - Would wire framing/mock ups be good to start with? it's what I use to do. Forgotten now. Something like using Balsamiq.
    Last edited by kahawai chaser; 30-11-2014 at 07:16 PM.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Way out West.
    Posts
    1,486

    Default Re: Website creation - help required please

    Quote Originally Posted by kahawai chaser View Post
    But if a simple site and if you want it up quick maybe one of them free web editors, e.g Google Sites, Wordpress, Wix, Weebly, etc to start with.

    Webdev - Would wire framing/mock ups be good to start with? it's what I use to do. Forgotten now. Something like using Balsamiq.
    Wireframing would be good, either in Balsamic or any decent illustration program. I use Illustrator for mine. Wordpress would be overkill in a situation where you only need 3-4 static pages with a contact page. Just well designed html5, css with jquery gallery would be fine.

    The cost to do it would be between $900 - $1200 depending on design. You could get t cheaper ( $300 - $600) but you would be looking at un-styled cookie cutter template layout which is pretty ugly.
    Working on a few different projects.

Similar Threads

  1. Website Design/Creation
    By Myth in forum PressF1
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-03-2011, 06:11 PM
  2. website to calculate required psu size
    By nedkelly in forum PressF1
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20-01-2010, 07:45 PM
  3. Website creation software
    By johcar in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-06-2009, 12:05 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-01-2005, 12:10 PM
  5. Help required to build website
    By tawhiti in forum PressF1
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 30-12-2002, 11:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •