Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In a little shed at the bottom of the garden

Default Low cost accounting software suggestions?

Hey guys
    Some of you long time F1ers may laugh at me asking this, but anyway here goes:
    My daughter is about to buy a business, and will need an accounting system, nothing very complex, General Ledger, basic Debtors, Invoicing, Creditors, maybe Inventory. I am not keen on paying $50 per month for Xero, and MYOB is just awful and it seems impossible to be able to tell which version includes what capability.

Does anyone know of something reasonably robust that would run on a PC that doesn't cost moonbeams (preferably without some monthly fee)? Doesn't matter how complicated, we can handle complicated (although would prefer it to not be too complicated).

Cheers
    robo

Default Re: Low cost accounting software suggestions?

Assuming you will be going to an accountant at some stage, I would check what they recommend. That way they can sort out your annual accounts much easier(and cheaper?) with a program they know. My accountant actually sold us Easybooks which was not too expensive back then, 40 years ago. I have no idea on its pricing these days though.

Personally use Cashook Complete. Theres a 90 Day free Trial so you can see if its what you need. Its a one off payment, I brought mine back in 2003, and all the upgrades are free.

http://www.acclaim.co.nz/

Haven't used it but Gnu cash is free

I've used QuickBooks (now called Reckon Accounts) for years and would certainly recommend it. Very useable for non accounting savvy people but also very capable. I would say that the inventory part is a bit short on features. Not the cheapest (there are several versions though, so you can purchase according to your needs). Trial version can be downloaded.
    Nothing happens until something happens

I have used Quicken Personal Plus now Reckon Accounts Personal Plus.
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Intel Core i3 540 3.07GHz, 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3, Gigabyte H55-USB3, Nvidia Geforce GTS 450, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-3300

Quote Originally Posted by Bobh View Post
    I have used Quicken Personal Plus now Reckon Accounts Personal Plus.
    The latter is what I am using now as well. The program has some clunky ways, some things work well. Forgotten now exactly why, though at some stage I called them for an patch/update. All they could tell me was buy a new version.I had bought upgrades regularly. Since that encounter I think it is better to go with Saasu or Xero. More expensive though, hoping it is better for gst calc and collaboration with accountant.
    "B.M. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else": The working class! Let's make sure we vote next time!

In a little shed at the bottom of the garden

Thanks folks. I used to work with accounting software, back in the pre-windows days, I even wrote a book on accounting software. I can handle pretty much anything, it's just finding a place to start. Most web sites are awful, just a photo of Basil the electrician telling you how great it is and nothing about cost or functionality.

I always used Excel. Plain and simple. Easy to set up templates....I still use it for husband.
    wipe your paws.

Have you tried this it is free for small Bus. I use it for a small sports group and find it very good. http://www.nchsoftware.com/accounting/