Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cloud Backup Solutions

Hey,

So I'm thinking the time has come to move my backups (about 120GB of photos and documents) to the cloud. Online storage is pretty affordable now but I'm just not sure which product to go with.

Any views on Amazon's Cloud Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, Crashplan... appreciated.

On the front end I'm looking for a client where I can select exactly what folders/sub-folders to sync, scheduled backup options and being able to exclude certain file types would be beneficial too. I'm not worried about being able to access uploaded files anywhere at anytime (ie. my phone) but I know most services include this ability anyway.

Thanks for any help

Default Re: Cloud Backup Solutions

I'm a big user of crashplan. The only feature I'm not sure it includes is the excluded files.....no I tell a lie, it does, as I backup my VM directories by exclude the actual VMDK files.
    Interests: PVRs, HTPCs, Apple IOS, Apple TV, Media Players, C#, Printing

Computer Tech

+1 for Crashplan.

Be aware that the sync services, like OneDrive & Dropbox, are not backups!
    If you delete a file from your sync folder it deletes from the cloud as well.
    If your sync folder gets infected with a virus the infected files will sync to the cloud and overwrite your good files.

Can't re Member

Idrive is another popular one

Quote Originally Posted by CYaBro View Post
    +1 for Crashplan.

Be aware that the sync services, like OneDrive & Dropbox, are not backups!
    If you delete a file from your sync folder it deletes from the cloud as well.
    If your sync folder gets infected with a virus the infected files will sync to the cloud and overwrite your good files.
    Good point on the sync.

I will have a closer look at CrashPlan, it seems to have good reviews all around.

Suppose, http://lifehacker.com/the-best-cloud...riva-729639300, is another thing to consider. I'm sure everyone has some eBooks (or the like) they didn't acquire through the proper channels

I have not long ago moved from Justcloud to Crashplan, and am very happy with the Crashplan service. I am on a VDSL connection and regularly get very good upload speeds as the severs are in Australia.

My cloud storage is a server in another building on my own property, no lag issues, no having my data stolen by online thieves and no upload costs or ongoing costs. A second copy is kept on an external HDD in my desk at work.

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    My cloud storage is a server in another building on my own property, no lag issues, no having my data stolen by online thieves and no upload costs or ongoing costs. A second copy is kept on an external HDD in my desk at work.
    My set up is similar to this. You would be having a really bad day if both buildings burned down and your external HD was stolen all at the same time.

Crashplan had a crazy Black Friday deal when I signed up 2 years ago, got 12 months unlimited for around $30. If I'd been quicker off the mark I could have scored it for a couple of dollars. They may do something similar this year (think it's the last Thursday in Nov).

At this stage I don't have an option to do a local backup to another building and carrying an external HDD around is not too appealing.

Might be worth waiting till Xmas in that case. I'll definitely give CrashPlan a go because it sounds decent.

Thanks for the help everyone, now I just need to decide whether to back up those eBooks