Default Playing USB with Panasonic Viera TV

Hi guys,

I hope someone can help me I am going a little nuts. I have recently bought a new USB flash drive, it is a Adata C008/8GB (they could be o's not 0's, hard to tell). Anyway any video file I put on it once plugged into the TV either will work for a minute then freeze or not show as a valid file at all. I have done some reading and discovered that apparently only MP4 files will work so I have downloaded a couple of different converter programs neither of which has worked. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have also read that the USB needs to be a FAT32 to work with my TV and I have looked at the properties on mine but can't see anything like that, however one website said it was HuKuTOC but I'm not really sure what that means or if that means it just flat out won't work. Any help would be much appreciated, also laymen terms would be great too

Default Re: Playing USB with Panasonic Viera TV

Try reformatting as Fat32 just to make sure. Handbrake is a great converter as is Ice cream media converter both are free and both are excellent

The drives should be FAT32 by default. I use ADATA UV110/8GB drives on our TV (not a Panasonic) and it plays all formats I've thrown at it (MP4, AVI, FLV & MKV)
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Then of course FAT32 has a 4GB file size limitation which can be an issue with some media. If your TV is reading it well enough to see the files though it is a supported format so don't spend too much time worrying about that .It's more likely either an issue with the video file format or a compatibility issue between the TV and the drive. I assume these same files play off the usb drive ok when connected to a PC instead? While most modern Devices support a wide range of video files some can be quite picky. My current samsung TV plays almost anything but my older sony was a right pain and I never used it. These days I just hook a PC up to the TV and use that, overkill but it plays everything.

Does it work off other USB drives ?
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

I used to have another USB that I didn't seem to have any probs with. I normally just hook up the pc directly to the TV but I have something that I want to be watching everyday and hooking up the PC is a pain in the butt so thought USB would be easier. I downloaded a converter site called Acrok, which is suppossed to do the job as it converts to MP4 specifically for Panasonic Viera. The vids that work and freeze play fine on the PC but once on the USB also freeze when played on PC and thru the TV. The other files all come up on the TV as not a valid file at all and when played on PC thru WMP only play audio, however work on VLC. So I really am not sure what the prob is

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaNZ View Post
    ........when played on PC thru WMP only play audio, however work on VLC.
    problem = codecs
    You want to use older, more compatible codecs & containers . Chances are the TV wont be able to cope with newer codecs.
    Find out what codecs the TV supports, & re-encode using those codecs
    Try MPEG-2 , on a small vid, & see if that works on the TV . Then go from there and try MP4, divx etc .

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaNZ View Post
    The vids that work and freeze play fine on the PC but once on the USB also freeze when played on PC
    ...I used to have another USB that I didn't seem to have any probs with....
    Could just be a crappy USB stick.
    Might be an issue with the USB Stick being a fake, with actual capacity less the stated capacity. Try formating it & see what happens.
    How old is the PC, are the PC's USB ports USB1 , USB2 or USB3 ? If its an old PC with USB1, the USB port may be too slow (seems unlikely though)

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    the USB port may be too slow (seems unlikely though)
    Good point, similarly maybe the USB stick is too slow. Some video files can require reasonable bandwidth. I've had USB sticks that only read at 12Mbps or so.
    Try a large file copy from the flash drive to the PC and see what transfer speed you get. If it's very low that could be the problem.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

I'm not really sure what this all means but according to a USB speed website this is the info for the USB stick - Drive Size=7.52 GB VID=125f PID=c08a Read Speed=23.90 MB/Sec Write Speed=9.98 MB/Sec Submitter=HuKuTOC. Can anyone tell me if this USB should be able to cope? It's not an overly expensive one but it is the only kind the store I brought it from had.