Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Wireless connection woes...

I have just returned from a trip to Canada (great trip!). Prior to leaving home, my wireless network was working perfectly (well, well enough) - to allow me to use both my laptop and iPad at home. I took both of these with me to Canada and used them everywhere, in spite of very dodgy connections at times.

On returning to home, I find that when trying to use the wireless network, both the iPad and the laptop fail to connect, the laptop giving the following message:
    "The settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network". The iPad just says 'Incorrect password'.

So - I have 'managed' my wireless networks on the lappy and removed all the stray Canadian networks.
    I have done a Factory reset on my NetComm NB6BPlusWn Router.
    I have installed a new network on the router via my desktop (works perfectly there), but still get the same messages from the lappy and iPad...
    I have tried to use an Ethernet cable to access/change the settings for the laptop (unsuccessfully). Not sure if the Ethernet cable is the right sort (I read on the Net it must be 5 or more, and don't know how to identify, but will go to town in an hour and ask).
    The lappy is an Asus Ultrabook, I use Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

And I want to talk to my family in Sydney on Facetime tonight on the iPad (they have Apple gear there).

Help - any suggestions? Do I need to hire 'Rent a Nerd' or something similar? I've run out of ideas.
    Now-if I could just remember where I left my brain...

Default Re: Wireless connection woes...

You have to connect to the modem again, then type in the right password from the laptop and Ipad

"The settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network".
    You "normally" get that message if you have connected to another router the same as yours, but with a different password.

Example: Meaning, if you connect to a NetComm with the password "qwerty" and its set to auto connect it will then try to connect to another NetComm automatically, but the password for the second Router could be "123456". Because the two routers are the same it tries to connect, but the passwords are wrong which could be why the iPad is saying so.

removed all the stray Canadian networks.
    What you can try, remove ALL the networks, then reboot (not needed but wont hurt) and then try to reconnect from fresh.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Ok - will try, and report back.

Ok - did that. Removed all networks from lappy, rebooted both the laptop & router. No joy. By the way, the password I use on the router is verrrry strong, have my doubts that anyone else would be using the same one (set up by the software engineer son...).

And unfortunately, the son lives a long way away, and can't help me just now.

So did you find the modem name on the laptop and Ipad then type the password in?? Did it bring up an error if it didnt work?

Yes, in both cases, and no, I didn't get in. And yes, the same error again.

My guess, when you are entering your password into the ipad you are entering a wrong character somewhere. I do that periodically with my Vodafone router which has a 13 character password which is easy to get wrong.

From post #1
    I have done a Factory reset on my NetComm NB6BPlusWn Router.
    From Post #5
    By the way, the password I use on the router is verrrry strong, have my doubts that anyone else would be using the same one (set up by the software engineer son...).
    Log into the router Via the Desktop Computer that can access it. Check to see what the password actually is. By resetting it as suggested in Post 1 it will have wiped the one your Son put in, and set it to its default. Which of course will be completely different to what you are entering.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Ok - have been to town, now have an Ethernet cable (wot I was trying to use was a telephone connection - ), so now have laptop connection to the internet. I am now able to connect with the Ethernet cable, but still get the same errors with wireless, in spite of setting up the NetComm page on the laptop the same as for the desktop (not sure of the logic of that). And no, I haven't made errors putting in the password (I have checked and checked again).

So - now what will I try?