Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default New Business Desktop

Hey Guys,

I need to upgrade my work computer, but I need something with some decent grunt, and PB Tech builds aren't going to cut it for me this time.

I do web design and development using the ENTIRE Adobe CC 2014.1 suite, PS, AI, DW, PP, AE, ID etc, plus I run xampp, spiceworks, and a bunch of other stuff that like to chew through my CPU. My current comp keeps BSODing around 3 times a day (after 2 trips to PB Tech already. One of their builds)

I've been recommended a Dell Precision Tower T1700 so far, does anyone else have any suggestions to a good, grunty workstation?

Default Re: New Business Desktop

If its the PC in your Sig, that's not exactly a low spec Computer.

I'd be more concerned as to whats causing the BSOD, it may be powerful enough, but under laying causes are the actual problem. Whats the BSOD error Message.

As for Dells -- their business class PC's are good, not like the cheap consumer rubbish.

Got a budget ?

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    If its the PC in your Sig, that's not exactly a low spec Computer.

I'd be more concerned as to whats causing the BSOD, it may be powerful enough, but under laying causes are the actual problem. Whats the BSOD error Message.

As for Dells -- their business class PC's are good, not like the cheap consumer rubbish.

Got a budget ?
    :-) unfortunately no that's my personal build. The BSOD is between 6 different causes each time. No budget really

HP make some pretty nice workstations, their Z series stuff (formally XW series)

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/w...ions/z820.html

Quote Originally Posted by dpDesignz View Post
    Hey Guys,

I need to upgrade my work computer, but I need something with some decent grunt, and PB Tech builds aren't going to cut it for me this time.

I do web design and development using the ENTIRE Adobe CC 2014.1 suite, PS, AI, DW, PP, AE, ID etc, plus I run xampp, spiceworks, and a bunch of other stuff that like to chew through my CPU. My current comp keeps BSODing around 3 times a day (after 2 trips to PB Tech already. One of their builds)

I've been recommended a Dell Precision Tower T1700 so far, does anyone else have any suggestions to a good, grunty workstation?
    I see you use Dream Weaver.. Do you hand code or use the drag and drop in Dream Weaver?

I'm guessing you want to stay with PC laptops? since all your software will be the PC version..

If your laptop keeps crashing I would say you have a problem with it because none of those programs would be the cause your laptop crashing provided you have enough RAM.

If I was getting myself a laptop for web design work it would be the MacBook Pro 15 inch. Just a personal preference.
    I also use my finaces Dell laptop from time to time.
    Working on a few different projects.

.If you don't want to keep trying to fix it You could just replace the motherboard & cpu and re-install windows. Probably a lot cheaper than a whole new PC and you could go for a haswell-e 6 or 8 core CPU if you really want power - although something that could use your existing RAM would seem more economical (I think haswell-e is DDR4). The new haswell i7 family is probably enough faster even with the non-e range than a first gen i7 to be noticeable even though your existing rig is pretty decent still.

48 GB is a lot of RAM, I'd expect that = 6 x 8GB chips, have you tried taking one triple channel set out at a time to see if the fault is memory related?
    The old machine is worth sorting if possible, a bit of work to identify if it's a hardware or software issue could save you a lot of money.

A lot of times older machines that suddenly develop BSOD faults have a software issue but it could also be failing hardware.For hardware I'd run an extended memory test and some burn in tests like prime 95 and furmark one at a time to see if it's memory, cpu, or graphics related.

For software try a Linux live cd or if you have a spare hard drive around a fairly simple thing is to remove the existing OS drive and do a clean install on a spare, if it's stable you've proven it to software and fixed it all in one go and still have the old drive to recover files from or to put back and try to fix once you've proven that's the issue. It may seem like an over the top nuclear response but sometimes fault finding can take so long you are better off just starting fresh for software problems. You could also see if you can do a system restore to before it developed issues.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post

48 GB is a lot of RAM, I'd expect that = 6 x 8GB chips, have you tried taking one triple channel set out at a time to see if the fault is memory related?
    I agree, 48GB of RAM is major overkill. Unless you are working on a Linux work station for Weta Digital on the latest render for The Hobbit you wouldn't even get close to needing 48GB of RAM. 8 GB should be more than enough.

Thanks for all the responses

Quote Originally Posted by Alex B View Post
    HP make some pretty nice workstations, their Z series stuff (formally XW series)

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/w...ions/z820.html
    Those look pretty decent. Have you used them yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Webdevguy View Post
    I see you use Dream Weaver.. Do you hand code or use the drag and drop in Dream Weaver?

I'm guessing you want to stay with PC laptops? since all your software will be the PC version..

If your laptop keeps crashing I would say you have a problem with it because none of those programs would be the cause your laptop crashing provided you have enough RAM.

If I was getting myself a laptop for web design work it would be the MacBook Pro 15 inch. Just a personal preference.
    I also use my finaces Dell laptop from time to time.
    I hand code. Don't like drag and drop, too chunky. I code server side mainly so drag and drop doesn't work anyway for most of my stuff.

I actually want a Desktop not PC, I think...

I would love a MacBook Pro, but not viable in my environment

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    .If you don't want to keep trying to fix it You could just replace the motherboard & cpu and re-install windows. Probably a lot cheaper than a whole new PC and you could go for a haswell-e 6 or 8 core CPU if you really want power - although something that could use your existing RAM would seem more economical (I think haswell-e is DDR4). The new haswell i7 family is probably enough faster even with the non-e range than a first gen i7 to be noticeable even though your existing rig is pretty decent still.

The old machine is worth sorting if possible, a bit of work to identify if it's a hardware or software issue could save you a lot of money.

A lot of times older machines that suddenly develop BSOD faults have a software issue but it could also be failing hardware.For hardware I'd run an extended memory test and some burn in tests like prime 95 and furmark one at a time to see if it's memory, cpu, or graphics related.

For software try a Linux live cd or if you have a spare hard drive around a fairly simple thing is to remove the existing OS drive and do a clean install on a spare, if it's stable you've proven it to software and fixed it all in one go and still have the old drive to recover files from or to put back and try to fix once you've proven that's the issue. It may seem like an over the top nuclear response but sometimes fault finding can take so long you are better off just starting fresh for software problems. You could also see if you can do a system restore to before it developed issues.
    Hmm, good point. Just note the computer I'm replacing is not the one in my signature, that's my personal computer. I've done the tests over and over for more than 2 days, PB Tech has had it twice for multiple days and done the same thing (but it WON'T crash for them for some reason!). Thanks for the input though.

My BSOD reports can be seen at https://www.dropbox.com/s/1hqiidt21d...-2014.txt?dl=0. Same issues over and over for the past 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Webdevguy View Post
    I agree, 48GB of RAM is major overkill. Unless you are working on a Linux work station for Weta Digital on the latest render for The Hobbit you wouldn't even get close to needing 48GB of RAM. 8 GB should be more than enough.
    I do massive videos with AE and PP, and exports take up to 75% of my RAM when rendering. . But again the computer I'm replacing is not the one in my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by dpDesignz View Post
    I do massive videos with AE and PP, and exports take up to 75% of my RAM when rendering. . But again the computer I'm replacing is not the one in my signature.
    In that case 8GB would still be more than enough RAM on a laptop. I use 8GB on my desktop and have no issues at all. The most common amount of RAM that I have heard of video editors using would be 16 GB on a work station with the occasional one using 32GB (but that is only because their work was paying for it rather than them )

Normally if you start getting really huge files it becomes more resource efficient to use a server cluster aka render wall.

I do all my coding in Sublime Text 2 - its more light weight than Dreamweaver.

Btw, what is PP? is that Power Point or something else?
    I know that AE is After Effects.
    Last edited by Webdevguy; 08-10-2014 at 11:43 AM.