Thread: rogue browser

Default rogue browser

anyone heard of "iStartSurf" - Firefox & I.E. have been overtaken by this browser - I've tried a few suggestions to clear it but to no avail, my thoughts are now on the Registry, ie delete any entry with the subject words - a real solution would be appreciated before I head into the unknown

Default Re: rogue browser

Suggestion, Stay away from the Registry. If you dont know what you are doing you can make things worse removing entries is bound to end in disaster.

Have a read of the following guide, tells you have to remove it: http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-istartsurf-virus/

hi Wainui, I've tried to clear I E through the instructions without any luck, the istartsurf page continues to open, there were no entries that appeared to be related to isurf in ctrl panel, so I deleted the entries for this month, only a few, I hazard a guess that FF would be similar but I'll try now

Sometimes it pays to run ALL those programs as per the site. Not every program will detect and remove everything that's why there's a few listed. Once they have done their thing, then go into what ever browser(s) you have and reset / Alter as the instructions show.
    One thing that happens ALOT is people and this includes some techs, only do half the job, too much of a hurry. Seriously, depending on how much data is on the PC, as well as its specs, its not uncommon to take 4-5 hours of scanning to remove some infections.

AdwCleaner did the trick, thanks for your advice