Default Does Anyone Here Wartch Freeview Via VLC or Freeview on 8.1 In General?

I was gutted to discover when I recently got a new laptop with 8.1 that Windows Media Centre (I used this to view Freeview) is non existant unless I pay to upgrade to Pro then pay for WMC, you're looking at $200+ (in other words it's a joke).

I want as simple set-up as possible, I don't record or anything, I want a set-up like a simple Freeview TV. I did get Freeview running in mediaportal but the program is tacky & to get it how I like would take weeks to sort out (who got time for that?).

I've seen a few Youtube videos showing TV running through VLC so I know it's possible but NZ based (or even global) information on how to do this is basically non-existant.

I'm pulling my hair out over this & would love any help.

Thanks.

Default Re: Does Anyone Here Wartch Freeview Via VLC or Freeview on 8.1 In General?

I had freeview in 8.1 but with WMC. The tuner (USB) is still plugged in, but I haven't configured it since reinstalling Windows. Altho even if I didn't have WMC, I would have used the Avermedia program for the tuner

And yup you're right, it's a pain having to pay extra for WMC. If you didn't buy the right version of Windows. What tuner do you have?? Didn't it come with a program??

Default Re: Does Anyone Here Wartch Freeview Via VLC or Freeview on 8.1 In General?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    I had freeview in 8.1 but with WMC. The tuner (USB) is still plugged in, but I haven't configured it since reinstalling Windows. Altho even if I didn't have WMC, I would have used the Avermedia program for the tuner

And yup you're right, it's a pain having to pay extra for WMC. If you didn't buy the right version of Windows. What tuner do you have?? Didn't it come with a program??
    The laptop came pre-installed with 8.1. Initially I got so frustrated over the issue I was going to downgrade to 7 but I actually quite like 8.1 overall (I've configured it so it's like 7). The DVB-T tuner I have is the pctv 73e. It did come with software but I remember when I first got Windows 7 it was a headache to use (sound but no picture etc) then I discovered WMC which was mind-blowingly easy to set-up compared to all other programs I've tried.

I also threw out the tuner box by mistake that had the serial number for the full version of the pctv software.

I use the Sugarloaf tower to get my signal with a small indoor aerial.

Another Member

I do have Windows Media Center installed. It came free with my $40? Windows 8 upgrade. It all works perfectly with my noname $20 USB DVB-T stick.
    Identified as a "WinFast DVT Dongle Gold BDA".

VLC worked once for me then never to be recognised again. I gave up.
    I followed these instructions: http://www.vlcplus.com/en/support-ov...watch-live-tv/

Then I found this free software - SmartDVB 0.4.0 Beta 2 - http://www.smartdvb.net/sdvb/
    It works almost perfectly here with Windows 8.1 and has data for NZ Freeview channels and transmitters inbuilt.
    Records perfectly as well.
    Still very much in beta but I'm happy.

Old guy

WMC runs Freeveiw without probems on my PC. W8.1 Pro. It appears to be bomb proof and it was inexpensive.

Pity you weren't around when MS were giving the keys out for it. When Win8 was released

I just bought a monitor that is also a TV
    Before windows 7 added support through media centre for NZ broadcast I used DVB Viewer, took a little setting up but it worked. It's still available but I'm not sure where you get the codecs from - back in the day I used power DVD ultra and that supplied the codecs.
    MYTH TV is another one you could try.

geekzone have a forum topic dedicated to freeview, someone there might be able to help you out a bit more http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=83
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Ok so I tried DVBViewer demo version again, I spent some time on it & managed to pick up all the NZ Freeview channels scanning under 'Europe' of all places. It's blown my mind because the audio/video is perfectly synced for all channels & somehow it easily plays all the channels. When I had my old PC with 7 & WMC some channels would play with the indoor aerial in one location but then I'd have to move it around my room to pick up the rest.

I might have hit the jackpot I think. If these early indications are anything to go by DVBViewer will suit me better than WMC anyway given it's superier ability to play weak signals.
    Last edited by Messerschmitt Man; 06-09-2014 at 09:28 PM.