Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cloud storage

Default cloud storage

Hi, I am trying to get an idea of the better cloud storage sites available(price and ease to use and reliability) where I can backup automatically and... if I need to restore the files on my pc..any suggestions from anyone?

Default Re: cloud storage

Dunno about best but DO NOT trust 'Just Cloud'. Whatever you fancy, DO google them for users' opinions. I should have done so!

Also, be aware that these systems may run constantly, using your clock cycles and checking up on your disk continuously.

Check that you can download in bulk and not a file at a time!

Also be aware that you can get a huge bandwidth gobble unless you have the right product and don't do things like wanting to move your files on your disk.

In the end, I just went really cold on these services and decided to take care of my off-site backups my way. I just felt I wasn't in control.

In saying that, that is not to say that cloud storage is a bad thing. It just didn't suit me.

Best wishes.

+1 I dont trust it either. Thats why I've disabled Skydrive syncing in Win8

Both dropbox.com/ and https://onedrive are popular. Both have their pros and Cons. Both have free accounts with paid accounts if you want more storage. Drop Box has 2GB where as one drive has 15GB.

The biggest thing to look out for as its been mentioned is what is being uploaded / Stored. Both have separate folders that will auto sync with cloud storage. Once its synced there is next to no activity till something is added.

Example: just installed a New PC at a persons place, when we put Dropbox back ( the paid version) it was bringing through to the computer / Syncing ( from memory) around 17GB.

Any of the programs will only sync what you select. That's one of the problems with W8 and one drive, people dont look at what they are actually installing and what it will do. I have Onedrive on all the PC's here, only thing that gets synced is what is selected / in the folder I select.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 21-07-2014 at 07:06 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

IT Contractor

CrashPlan
    Windows 7 x64 // i5-3570K // 16GB DDR3-1600 // GTX660Ti 2GB // Samsung 830 120GB SSD // OCZ Agility4 120GB SSD
    Windows 7 x64 // Phenom II 955 // 8GB DDR3-1333 // GTX460 1GB // Corsair Force3 120GB SSD
    Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505

Quote Originally Posted by rocco View Post
    Hi, I am trying to get an idea of the better cloud storage sites available(price and ease to use and reliability) where I can backup automatically and... if I need to restore the files on my pc..any suggestions from anyone?
    Dropbox is pretty good, pretty easy to use and has the advantage of syncing local cibtent with their servers. It also has rudimentary versions. But it's not the cheapest.

For proper backups (with the option of a clud based backup and unlimited storage) crashplan is my choice. $50 used a year for unlimited storage. But where it reaLly shines, is for free you can back up files to an external hard drive, or to a friends via computer (securely, it's not just a file copy, your friends can't read it).

Other than that, there's google drive, microsfts sky drive or box.net
    Interests: PVRs, HTPCs, Apple IOS, Apple TV, Media Players, C#, Printing

Drive if you are Google inclined, iCloud if belonging to the fruit fraternity, or Dropbox for impartiality. I personally don't trust Onedrive cos its Microsoft.

LL

Google Drive or Onedrive. Dropbox is alight but the amount of free storage they offer is pretty limiting.

Quote Originally Posted by lakewoodlady View Post
    Drive if you are Google inclined, iCloud if belonging to the fruit fraternity, or Dropbox for impartiality. I personally don't trust Onedrive cos its Microsoft.

LL
    And you would trust Google ?

NO one is really safe, including Google Google-Drive-Attack-Exposed-How-to-Stay-Secure

And the most scary part, the scammers used Googles own servers.
    The fake page is actually hosted on Google's servers and is served over SSL, making the page even more convincing.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 21-07-2014 at 11:12 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    NO one is really safe,
    ...except yourself ---> ownCloud
    Burning all the diaries
    I'm just helping with inquiries
    Here at Lost and Found
    Another day above the ground