Thread: Lights

Default Lights

We have in the kitchen and bathroom recessed halogen lights of the small variety. Currently in the throws of re insulating ceiling and as these require a gap around them for fire purpose I'm looking at replacing with LEDs. So my question is do I need to replace the whole unit or can I just throw some new LED bulbs in?
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

Default Re: Lights

You can get cages for them so that you can insulate over them, step son just said so he is a sparky, not sure about LED I think they require all new, he just rushed out so can't ask him

You can use either way, there are 230 and 12v led replacements to fit most downlights, but not a great selection or price in NZ.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

Thanks both of you.
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

pcsourcepoint

I have replaced my home lighting with LED's I bought from eBay.There are 100's of sizes, wattage, chip size, styles, etc. But I have not changed halogen down lights. You may need to know the fitting type.

I used E27 LED's (screw type) and B22 (Bayonet type). Not sure for halogen bulbs - could be MR16 (12V) or GU10. You can get adaptors (converters) or twin adapters e.g. to fit between B22 to E27. This vastly increases the sizes, wattage, and styles of LED's that can be used.

Also since LED's are unidirectional - they don't emit much light (but are vivid). Hence you may need quite a few LED's per bulb. And LED chips come in different sizes - common are the larger 5050 and smaller 3528. With others in between. Also can choose between white or warm light.

Trial and error may be involved. I found 7X 5050 LED globe style (covered and 3W) to suit certain low light areas and 27 5050 conical cone or octagonal to suit larger areas with around 7W.
    Last edited by kahawai chaser; 05-07-2014 at 10:50 AM.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

I got some 12volt downlight LEDS from A.J. Russell, after getting some rubbish fitting and Halogens from a well known national retailer a few years ago. I have now found it is illegal to do your own replacement lights(without complications) and could complicate all sorts of things in the future,ie insurance claims, liability after selling etc. So I guess its going to cost a bit more than then last time!

Re Member

I've replaced a few halogen lamps with LEDs.Last job I did in a kitchen where I'd been back a few times for repairs.I haven't heard from her since!
    Fitted a new transformer (60w) to handle all 6 8w LEDs at the start of the circuit,then just lampholders at the rest of the fittings.Used the original halogen fittings.
    Just check on the spread angle of the LEDs.They vary.Also colour.Most prefer 4000 K (Kelvin),which is whiter than the normal golden colour house lamp.