Default Advice on new Monitor selection

TL;DR what 27" monitor would you pick for gaming and why

I'm considering a new monitor for my PC and I'm having trouble deciding what to get and how much to spend. Currently I have 2 monitors, a 27" AOC LCD and a 24" Samsung which is also a TV. Both are 1080P 60 hz, are a couple years old and pre-date LED backlights being affordable. I do a lot of gaming and that's my principle concern, however I'm not a competitive gamer and don't notice anything wrong with my current displays.

so the decision problems I'm having are;
    IPS or TN - I understand IPS looks nicer but is not as responsive. I suspect I wouldn't notice input lag etc given my current setup.

1080P or QHD 2560 x 1440 - I like the Idea of the higher res but I'm concerned about the graphics power required to drive it for gaming, anyone tried scaling QHD to 1080P for gaming and want to comment what it looks like (LCD has never scaled well in my experience)

60hz or 120hz+ - I understand the higher refresh rate makes games feel smoother and reduces motion blur - both things I'm not currently noticing a problem with but maybe I would if I had it. (trouble is 12o hz also removes IPS as an option pretty much)

So opinions, the quality of IPS of the speed of TN?, are higher refresh rates really that noticeable?, will a single graphics card like a R9 290 or GTX 780 game @ QHD or am I better to stick to 1080P for smoother framerates?

I am actually using an R9 290 now but it's not been trouble free and I've had a better experience in general from the GTX 760 I also have so I'm considering trying to sell the 290 and buying a faster Nvidia card if I do this. The AMD card has rubbish framerates in WoW (averages about 45 @1080P ultra), has stability issues in wolfenstein N.O. (great game BTW but quite buggy so not really AMD's fault), and gets noisy when hot (stock cooler).
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Default Re: Advice on new Monitor selection

An additional note, It's my intention to relocate the 24" into the bedroom as a TV and relegate my existing display to the secondary position. I run the main display off my discrete graphics and the secondary off the integrated intel HD graphics. The theory being that the secondary display shouldn't impact gaming framerates if it's running off a separate graphics card(or chipset) - totally un researched just my expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Currently I have 2 monitors, a 27" AOC LCD and a 24" Samsung which is also a TV. don't notice anything wrong with my current displays.
    So don't waste money. keep them and save $$$
    wipe your paws.

Thanks but I was already aware of that option
    I'd prefer both to be the same size and like the Idea of a new monitor and using the 24" as a TV which is what I originally bought it for.
    At the moment I'm leaning toward a cheap 1080P IPS panel but the high refresh rate monitors and the high res QHD ones both got my interest as well.

I have a birthday coming up in a couple months, I always buy myself the best presents This year the PC needs nothing as far as hardware upgrades go so I'm looking at other options. As it is my last upgrade from 2500K to 3770 was more of a waste of money than a new screen would be but I don't regret that either.