Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HRV or DVS

Default HRV or DVS

Opinions please. We were planning on getting a heat transfer unit for fire place but thought we could kill two birds with one stone. Parents have dvs but this has to be at least 20 years old and I'm thinking these have changed over the years
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

Default Re: HRV or DVS

Get a heat pump for heating, HRV and DVS systems just refresh the already existing air in the house, they don't heat it.

LL

Yep. Got big heat pump and fire place. Was more wanting for the condensation and to transfer heat from lounge to other end of house.

We've had an HRV system installed for about 8 years now (no heat pump) - no complaints and never have the windows fogged up, even when it's cold outside.

We have the filter unit installed above the main bedroom with outlets in the three bedrooms and the lounge.

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

HRV is crap.
    You want to move warm air around, get a heat transfer system.

As for condensation, open a window.
    wipe your paws.

I used to get condensation on my whole bedroom wall not just the glass but as I have no ceilings HVR/DVS was not even an option. I added an extractor fan to the bathroom and kitchen (the two largest sources of moisture) and resovled to open a window more often and it was reduced to just a little on the window. Double glazing and a panel heater in the bedroom sorted out the last of it. Not saying these systems don't work, just that it's not the only way. Ventilation, insulation, and heating are the 3 things that affect moisture.

In my case the heatpump is in the lounge and just too far away from the main bedrooms to heat them effectively and I was in the bad habit of leaving the house sealed up tight during winter. A 1KW wall heater keeps my bedroom cosy and as I use it on a thermostat and only overnight when it's cold it really doesn't impact the power bill much. I also had some issues with my house cladding that may have been contributing and which cost a fortune to fix. I have monolitic cladding (textured plaster over fibrelight) and it was cracked along all the joins and around the windows & corners.

Edit: As a side note, in a previous house we had a fireplace that heated half the house awesomely but not the hall and bedrooms so I installed a heat transfer system myself to try and combat that. It sucked warm air in from the lounge above the fireplace and blew it out into the hall and master bedroom. It did take the worst of the chill off the two rooms I put outlets in but I wouldn't say it made them warm. The trouble is with moving warm air around that it cools rapidly as it moves and the faster you try to move it the worse the effect is. You need to move a lot of air quite slowly to effectively transfer heat. Perhaps the system I bought just wasn't a great one.
    Last edited by dugimodo; 03-06-2014 at 07:49 AM.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

I bought a Weis heat transfer ducting system from Mitre10 some years ago with outlets into 2 bedrooms, easy to install, though you need a handy power point.
    It works quite well, but if your wood burner occasionally emits smoke , like when the door is opened, or if there is a blow back, then smoke will also get transfered.

HRV and DVS are like religions, the power of human belief is a wondrous thing

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Porritt View Post
    I bought a Weis heat transfer ducting system from Mitre10 some years ago with outlets into 2 bedrooms, easy to install, though you need a handy power point.It works quite well, but if your wood burner occasionally emits smoke , like when the door is opened, or if there is a blow back, then smoke will also get transfered.HRV and DVS are like religions, the power of human belief is a wondrous thing
    Have you had any experience with an HRV or DVS, Terry, or is it just an opinion based on your understanding of how these systems work?I have now had eight years of use, and our house is drier and warmer than it was before and my son's asthma has all but disappeared, and no condensation issues any more...

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    HRV is crap.
    You want to move warm air around, get a heat transfer system.

As for condensation, open a window.
    haha. Yep try telling the wife. It was minus 2 here on sat morning at 8.30. Even I'm not that cruel. We have a shower dome in the bathroom which works a treat. Yes we want to move warm air but thought we could fix a couple of problems. Will start reigibbing the bedrooms shortly to put bats in. And redo the ceiling and add underfloor insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by johcar View Post
    Have you had any experience with an HRV or DVS, Terry, or is it just an opinion based on your understanding of how these systems work?I have now had eight years of use, and our house is drier and warmer than it was before and my son's asthma has all but disappeared, and no condensation issues any more...
    Snake oil or not, from the people I know with them say their are great. This is the only house in the suburb we looked at that didn't have a ventilation system in it.