Question Where can I find a vibrating cushion to help interact with the blind and deaf?

Hi Team

Skyped this morning with our daughter in Melbourne (the music therapist) and she is looking for a means to communicate with institutionalised clients who are both blind and deaf. They are of all ages from the very young to the old and infirm. There were 'whole of body' devices in use, but they were not portable for transport between clients, and have proven of little practical help with children and very wary institutionalised adults.

She works for several agencies at present and has a small number of clients who are in this category. By sheer chance I happen to have an old Aura Interactor amplifier (the product flopped) that will take an audio input from her computer and process it to drive such a cushion, so I can provide her with everything she needs bar the 'human interface'. I have searched widely on the web but found only vibrating headphones, which would not be suitable. She needs a device that can be introduced slowly to sensory-deprived individuals, especially the very young, to avoid negative reactions and without scaring them witless. I can build a crude version of such a device, but a commercial product would be much preferable. Does anybody know of any gaming or other sources that might have a product that fits her requirements.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!

Default Re: Where can I find a vibrating cushion to help interact with the blind and deaf?

Billy, you could try the Blind Foundation for a range of equipment and services.

Deafblind services

Last edited by WalOne; 25-05-2014 at 02:50 PM.
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Default Re: Where can I find a vibrating cushion to help interact with the blind and deaf?

Now this going to sound crude. but the sex shops were selling vibrators that attached too ipods/mp3 players. their vibrated to the beat of the music. the faster the music the faster the vibrate. You get the picture. Is this what you were after? such a device could be inserted into a cushion and have the added advantage of being waterproof
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

Plods idea, is not out of the question ( its not crude unless you look at it as such) After doing a google search for Vibrating Cushions, and getting PLENTY of options, narrowed it down by putting New Zealand After it, theres plenty of options for pressure activated Cushions.

But along Plods line of suggestion found http://www.silent-alert.co.nz/vibrat...idp401491.html it looks like it works from an alarm activation, so it should only be a short step to change the activation to the device you were thinking of.. -- Wouldn't hurt to contact them and ask, they may have something better. From what I can gather you would only need something thats speed adjustable.

That's made my day! And in my line of work too (not saying which part of the story I'm referring to...)
    Now-if I could just remember where I left my brain...

Quote Originally Posted by R.M. View Post
    That's made my day! And in my line of work too (not saying which part of the story I'm referring to...)
    Lol
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

Would any of the Variable speed Chair massage be something like you are wanting. Not a cushion but basically back and bottom. http://www.walmart.com/cp/Massagers/648200 Plenty of options if you scroll through the pages, cheap to ( OK its Walmart)

Sincere thanks everybody, I was surprised by the range of available options, and I am pretty sure I will be able to find a suitably portable device to deliver a 'music to tactile' experience.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!