Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wetbacks

Default Wetbacks

Ok not the Mexicans, but water variety.

New house to us, and has a wetback. Not entirely sure how it works but when it's going the ability to make a cup of coffee straight out of the tap is pretty impressive. Although I'm not entirely sure if it's a good thing. I have done a bit of google but would be interested to know from people that have them.
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

Default Re: Wetbacks

It depends really on the size of the heat exchanger unit in them. Small ones commonly found in woodburners have a booster quite often just a 180 pipe loop so the surface area is not too big.They generally wont get the temperature much above 60. I lived in a farm house at Okaramio in the seventies and it had a wetback built into an ancient Orion coal range which we run on wood. It would boil the water in the hot water cylinder and it cascaded out the pipe onto the roof waking everyone up. Had to run the hot water out to cool it down.
    Their installation is critical to them working properly ie thermo siphon. Close to the cylinder the fire the better. The problem with the small booster is when you drain out the hot the cold comes in and the thermostat kicks the power in before the wetback can heat the water. My current one is a water cylinder in the roof right above the fire and the water from this cylinder feed into the electric water cylinder at floor level Works so well our power bill is cheaper in the winter than summer.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Our cylinder is close ti the woodburner. Was told by the chimney sweep man it was a big box. I presyme he was talking about the fire.had it going first time last night. Waterwas still above temp todau before I relit it tonight. And while I was joling about the coffee I have just tried it. Not quite perfect temp but close

VoidMaster

Don't want to be a killjoy but my general knowledge gathered over a lifetime says that one should never drink hot/boiling water derived from hot water tanks or sitting in pipes for any length of time whilst hot, because the water being hot leaches out heavy metals from its surrounding containment.

That is, never make tea or coffee from anything but freshly boiled water from a kettle/container suited for the purpose, and do not use previously boiled water which has been in a hot water tank especially.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 18-05-2014 at 08:26 PM.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

No killjoy. It was a once off to check.
    I take it the thermostat in the cylinder will turn off the element when the wetback kicks in.
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

Depends on the size of the wetback but the 2500W electrical element will kick in and heat the water before the wetback gets much of a chance. That little bit it does maybe a few degrees is all you get. You cant turn the power off if its just a booster as it will not have enough grunt. What it does though is make the water hotter when your thermostat cuts out around 55 deg. Can take it to boiling for free.
    Last edited by prefect; 18-05-2014 at 09:43 PM.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

you can fit a tempering (spelling?) valve that can regulate the hot water temp. so you have tank at almost boiling but water comes out of the tap at 50-60 degrees.

mates have solar panel and wetback. very rarely ever have the element switched on.

the cold inrush problem may depend on tank type. there is hot water tanks made for wetback and solar connections. i recall something about water connections being in different places and booster element half way up the tank.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    Don't want to be a killjoy but my general knowledge gathered over a lifetime says that one should never drink hot/boiling water derived from hot water tanks or sitting in pipes for any length of time whilst hot, because the water being hot leaches out heavy metals from its surrounding containment.
    The Claim: Never Drink Hot Water From the Tap

The Facts: The claim has the ring of a myth. But environmental scientists say it is real.

The reason is that hot water dissolves contaminants more quickly than cold water, and many pipes in homes contain lead that can leach into water. And lead can damage the brain and nervous system, especially in young children.

Lead is rarely found in source water, but can enter it through corroded plumbing. .

---------------------

Considering most people have buteline plumbing these days.......

As for the wetback, husband agrees with prefect.......yep, water all over your roof.....
    wipe your paws.

Banned

It has a more changes in this .

Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    Dthe water being hot leaches out heavy metals from its surrounding containment.
    Interesting, but possibly an urban myth that could go back generations. Hot water pipes are copper, hot water cylinders were all copper once but vitreous enamel on steel seems to be getting more common, what with the price of copper these days.

We have all been drinking water from copper pipes for most of our lives and I haven't heard of any epidemic.

Which 'heavy metal(s)' is/are causing you concern?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!