Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firewood

Default Re: Firewood

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    http://fairfaxmedia.newspaperdirect....er/viewer.aspxThursdays have the most ads.One thing to remember, now is the worst time to buy it - the prices go up.Better to get it in summer.I have an enormous Macrocarpa available for wood, free - you just have to cut it down. :-)
    Unfortunately we have just moved in so no choice about getting it early. Have already got a plan for next year. $20 permit for the weekend and go clean up after the loggers
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

For drying, it is not essential to use a shed, an Aussie tested a few different stacking systems and rather confounded the belief that a Holz-Hausen stack is only slightly slower than a kiln It does stack a lot of wood in a small space though.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

Have you got access to pallets? Mr Stihl will deal to a pallet in less than 4 minutes but watch for nails. Maybe the ethnics from Porirua take them they do here in the winter but dont it in the summer when I grab them.
    Last edited by prefect; 14-05-2014 at 06:55 PM.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

but watch for nails
    yeah, Saws either power or hand dont like those to much.

Quote Originally Posted by prefect View Post
    Have you got access to pallets? Mr Stihl will deal to a pallet in less than 4 minutes but watch for nails. Maybe the ethnics from Porirua take them they do here in the winter but dont it in the summer when I grab them.
    Yep, pallets galore. Only problem is transporting from work to home. Wont get to many on the bike. Will talk nicely to one of the truck drivers
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

Quote Originally Posted by prefect View Post

We haven't bought firewood in years. Softwood pallets are free and abundant everywhere in industrial and shopping areas. I collect them in summer then cut and stack for winter. If you 'shop' wisely you can find hardwood pallets as well. I cut them up with an electric chainsaw, taking care not to hit any nails.

We don't remove the nails, but when I clean out the fireplace every 2-3 weeks, I put a ferrite magnet (or two) from old speakers inside a plastic shopping bag and that pulls all the nails from the ashes in less than a minute. Turn the bag inside out so that the magnet is on the outside and the nails are on the inside, knot the top and dump in the recycle bin. No mess Charlie!

We also have what we call our 'firewood tree' which obligingly drops a branch or two during the more violent storms, so I cut them up for burning on the longer colder nights.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!

When I was on Timor Island in 1999 pallets were almost worth gold because they were the only available machined wood. We used them to make furniture like seats and tables for our tents. Later on the grunts set up a mobile saw mill and we got some wood that way by stealing it at night. If pallets were gold pieces of plywood were moonbeams and elaborate plans were hatched to steal it back to our helicopter base for furniture. One of my mechanics bought a water bed bladder(double) in Darwin on holiday and made a base for it from pallets. Hooked it into the light switch
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

They have lots of trailers by the roadside here in Whaikanae, selling firewood for between $180 and 220, needs a bit of study to make sure what is one is getting.
    "The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living." Cicero