Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default usb power issues?

What is wrong with my computer? While using the mouse I get the "duh-duh" sound of USB disconnecting then again when it reconnects. Mouse stops moving, sometimes for a couple seconds, sometimes for minutes (sometimes it never starts again until restart...) Occasionally the keyboard disconnects then reconnects. Can make using the mouse really frustrating (stopped/started about five times just now moving the mouse pointer from centre of screen to the Start button...)

I'm guessing there is a lack of power being supplied to the USB ports, but not sure how to fix it. Currently the only USB devices plugged into the PC is the keyboard and mouse. Keyboard is currently plugged into the USB 3 sockets, mouse into the USB 2 sockets. If I plug both into USB 2 neither of them work. If I plug both into the USB 3 they both work but disconnect more often (although not much more).

Power supply is 550W I think (might be 500), and all I have in the machine is 3x HDD, 1x DVD (hardly used), 1x budget video card, plus the keyboard and mouse. PSU should be sufficient I think?

Any ideas? Have I plugged things wrong on my motherboard? Is my PSU useless? My mouse is taking a beating at the moment whenever it happens very frustrating

Cheers,
    Mike.
    what are you doing looking in here?

Default Re: usb power issues?

How many ports available? have you tried all of them? front ports are often less reliable than rear ones. Also niether device should really be using enough power to be a problem, I have my mouse plugged into my keyboard so both run off one USB port and are plugged into the rear of the PC. This mouse here says 100mA on the bottom of it, USB 2.0 ports can supply up to 500mA and often will exceed that on some systems.

It could be a driver issue, have you got the correct up to date drivers for your motherboard?
    I've had that before with USB 3.0 front ports on my machine but removing the proprietary Asus USB software that was supposed to turbo charge transfer speeds seemed to help.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

No front ports, there are 6 USB 2 and 2 USB 3. Yes tried them all, in different combinations. As far as I know I have up-to-date drivers, but I'll go check now anyways. I thought it was my keyboard for a while, as I was using a gaming keyboard with lots of lights and extra keys etc. which had 2 USB plugs (one for power), but even after switching from using that the problem remains.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll try it now...

Mike.

You need to narrow down where the problem is.

Try booting from either a live CD like Linux, or if you dont have one you can always try a Windows install DVD ( but be careful, dont go so far as to re-install or wipe your HDD) If booting from a Linux live CD and everything works fine then its a software problem, if its still doing it on the CD then its hardware related.

Complicated and harmless EFFIGY's Avatar

Just a thought; I had a mouse with a loose cord connection which did that - could it be that simple?
    "Aspirenstein" - 550W PSU; i7 4770; Asus 'Gryphon; ; 8Gb Kingston HyperX Beast; 256Gb Samsung SSD; Asus Nvidia 4750Ti; All in an 8 year old Acer Aspire case

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post

Try booting from either a live CD like Linux, or if you dont have one you can always try a Windows install DVD ( but be careful, dont go so far as to re-install or wipe your HDD) If booting from a Linux live CD and everything works fine then its a software problem, if its still doing it on the CD then its hardware related.
    I've reinstalled Windows and no change, but I'll try a Linux CD and see if there's a difference

Quote Originally Posted by EFFIGY View Post
    Just a thought; I had a mouse with a loose cord connection which did that - could it be that simple?
    Have tried a different mouse, no difference

Cheers,
    Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    How many ports available? have you tried all of them? front ports are often less reliable than rear ones. Also niether device should really be using enough power to be a problem, I have my mouse plugged into my keyboard so both run off one USB port and are plugged into the rear of the PC. This mouse here says 100mA on the bottom of it, USB 2.0 ports can supply up to 500mA and often will exceed that on some systems.

It could be a driver issue, have you got the correct up to date drivers for your motherboard?
    I've had that before with USB 3.0 front ports on my machine but removing the proprietary Asus USB software that was supposed to turbo charge transfer speeds seemed to help.
    I have updated all the drivers I could from the motherboard manufacturer's website (Gigabyte), but still no change

Could the 3x HDD be drawing too much power?

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post

Found a site with some pretty comprehensive advice about resetting USB cache etc http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-problems.html

I don't think it's a power issue, if it was it would be crashing or powering off not losing usb connections.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Re -Read post #4 -- Boot from a Linux or other bootable CD, if it plays up still on that, its hardware, if not then its software related.