Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Online stores

Default Online stores

I'm about to get my new mobile and I see that there are several stores which sell the item significantly less expensive than my preferred stores, eg DSE or Noel Leeming. So does anyone have advice on which of the stores I should avoid? I'm totally against buying from overseas or via parallel importing.

Thanks.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

Default Re: Online stores

If you have a friend living in either Australia or the United States, why not get them to buy you a Nexus from Google?

I had a bad experience with parallel imported (not parallel imports), bought a phone, it was faulty, took it back and got a replacement, faulty again. Asked for a refund but their policy was store credit so had to get a different phone since the one I wanted was out of stock and no ETA on next stock.......
    Life is a struggle
    It's a fight till the end
    So keep your head up
    And fight like a man

"If you can believe than you can achieve" - Tupac Shakur

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    If you have a friend living in either Australia or the United States, why not get them to buy you a Nexus from Google?
    Never. I do have family in Aus, but the comparable Nexus is the 4, and its outperformed and out-specced in almost every single aspect which count to me by the S4 Mini.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

What exactly is it that you are trying to achieve with your purchase, Greg?

If it was me, I would probably just walk into a 2 degrees shop ( because they have the best network with the best deal combo) and buy the phone that I wanted... Or buy the phone from Noel Leemings, Dick Smith or where ever and then walk into 2 Degrees and sign up.

FTR I'm with Vodafone.

As to consumer protection and buying online and all that palava.. As long as its NOT a parallel import, you will be protected by the consumer guarantees act if anything goes wrong.

You may get it cheaper online but what you "pick up on the roundabouts you will loose on the swings".
    Working on a few different projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    And, these days, Pricespy has a feedback section too, so you can research crap vs good stores.

If you find one that hasn't got any feedback there, google it, also try the retailers thread on Gpforums, lost of feedback there too.
    wipe your paws.

Quote Originally Posted by Webdevguy View Post
    What exactly is it that you are trying to achieve with your purchase, Greg?

If it was me, I would probably just walk into a 2 degrees shop ( because they have the best network with the best deal combo) and buy the phone that I wanted... Or buy the phone from Noel Leemings, Dick Smith or where ever and then walk into 2 Degrees and sign up.

FTR I'm with Vodafone.

As to consumer protection and buying online and all that palava.. As long as its NOT a parallel import, you will be protected by the consumer guarantees act if anything goes wrong.

You may get it cheaper online but what you "pick up on the roundabouts you will loose on the swings".
    What!!!??? Since when and by what measure???

Even Vodafone have better coverage than 2D and Vodafone coverage even in Auckland is poor compared to Telecom. There's a Vodafone dead spot outside Sky City, for instance - and that's only a few hundred meters from their head office!!

Whereas I can get coverage wherever I am with Telecom - including out at the golf course at South Head (where my buddies on 2D and VF ask to use my phone in the clubhouse because they have no signal!!!)

EDIT: That said, I do agree - go into a 2D store and buy a worldphone (a phone that will work on any network) since 2D seem to have a good range of phones, including the Nexus, and then plug the SIM from your choice of network into it...
    Last edited by johcar; 27-04-2014 at 05:22 PM.

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

Wanderer

Some of those pricespy stores might be parrallel imports. I have used einfo.co.nz I have gottten service with my old still in use Nokia Symbian - to be resetted. Return post at your expense (as well as the departing postage).

Now I just import myself.

As for the network. I prefer Vodafone over 2D. But 2D does have better deals re: price. One time when I was in National Park the ski field was inaccessible due to Turoa closed so I couldn't get up, I had to phone them to cancel my lesson. 2D couldn't get a signal but Vodafone did. Same thing happened in Turangi at my accomodation. If you are just getting the $19 combo, then Vodafone provides 4G. Prior to Vodafone 4G, 2D is quite a bit slower IME.

If you are a low user and don't need 4G 2D have better plans - Vodafone only have the $19 ones apart from weekend text or single call up to 60mins for a $1. You can only get their other addons AFTER you get the $19 plan. Well according to my Vodafone app. 2D you can get unlimited text plan only, or just 60mins or 200mins and you can get the pack renewed on the same month without incurring too much expense.
    Last edited by Nomad; 27-04-2014 at 05:45 PM.

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by Webdevguy View Post

As long as its NOT a parallel import, you will be protected by the consumer guarantees act if anything goes wrong.
    Surely if it is within 12 months there should still be some responsibility of this NZ retailer selling parallel imported goods (like The Warehouse) unless you are meaning imports we do oursslves or am I confused ....

Wanderer

2D have better packs ie talk packs than Skinny but if all you do is text or the common combo plan Skinny does it for $16 instead of $19. For really low users like my mum Skinny is better - also with their $5 top up each year.

Not sure about Skinny re: international roaming but 2D is the more expensive option even to relative standard destinations like North America. Vodafone and Telecom are definitely cheaper.